Why become a member? ×

Westbury Double Bass

davebass66

Hi guys, I have been playing upright for just over a year, using a Stentor student II which I got for a great price from Bill over at Thwaites...

Anyway, The bass was unfortunately written off recently after being knocked over (thank God for insurance)...Decided I would try and go up a level bass wise with the money.

I was back in Thwaites today trying a few basses (around the 2k mark) The one I ended up feeling best about was a Westbury (I know very little about DB manufacturers).. All I know is it was carved wood front and back and made in the far east. Bill seemed to think quite highly of it, although openly admitted that the price range I'm looking at is very difficult for uprights. (if only I could get up to 3k)!

So...My point was, do any of you guys have any experience with these basses or know any more about them? I can't find much about them online other than companies selling them with the standard blurb.

Any knowledge will be eagerly soaked up! :)

Dave

Edited by davebass66

Isn't the Westbury bass made by the Eastman company? If so, they are decent basses for the price.

Before buying, check out a Shen 150 Hybrid...about $2300 in the US at Upton bass (marked down from 2600). That would be closer to 1400 to 1600 pounds, plus shipping.

I have played them both side by side. Prefer the Shen .

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1356149970' post='1907458']
Before buying, check out a Shen 150 Hybrid...about $2300 in the US at Upton bass (marked down from 2600). That would be closer to 1400 to 1600 pounds, plus shipping.
[/quote]

And VAT of course, which would be another £300 or so. And isn't there a 3%-ish import duty on musical instruments?

Edited by thisnameistaken

Just save your money and get a Bryant, check his website and contact about prices etc... I recommend them, most Professionals use them as a second bass, due to their reliability and quality... But your choice, I just see a Bryant as an investment, as a good instrument will make it easier for you to improve, with a lot of practice and all that "jazz" haha... All the best - F

Edited by FLoydElgar

For what it's worth when I was looking for my second bass I found myself in a similar situation, with seemingly all the step-up basses being around the £3k mark, but actually I got the impression that a lot of the older basses in that price bracket tend to need some professional attention and may end up costing quite a lot more by the time you've got them ship-shape.

In the end I bought a new carved bass from gedo-musik. Of course it doesn't have the richness and character of an expensive bass but it does have a good, balanced sound (it doesn't sound cheap in other words!), it's well constructed and there are no issues with it at all. It's worked well in every situation I've used it in, from my local Sunday afternoon have-a-go amateur jazzers to bashing out pop and folk tunes at open mics, acoustic gigs, festivals etc. I bet the Westbury you're considering will be of a similar ilk, so I'd say if you've played it and you liked it then you should go ahead and take it.

I bought a Westbury just over a year ago: it was, imho, the best of the double basses that I test-drove and could afford.

A few months ago I took it to a luthier to perform a repair and a long-overdue setup. He lowered the bridge and shaped the fingerboard.

I wouldn't say it's my pride and joy, but I love making music with it. It's a pleasure to play and has a fine sound.
I'd love to be able to afford a quality instrument, but I can't. I'm not sure whether I'd want to gig (in pubs as I do now) with one, really.

[quote name='tickbite' timestamp='1356212465' post='1908126']
I'd love to be able to afford a quality instrument, but I can't. I'm not sure whether I'd want to gig (in pubs as I do now) with one, really.
[/quote]

I'll be taking my Bryant to a pub this evening. It'll be well looked after and I'll get a lot of pleasure playing it.

I have owned a Westbury for a few years now, and absolutely love it.
They are indeed made by the Eastman company, and distributed in the UK by The Sound Post Ltd, who I must say are an absolutely fantastic company.

I got my Westbury in a violin body, and over the past couple of years have favoured Obligato strings on it. I did have some work done to the bass by Malcolm Healey who was at his shop in Sutton at the time. He set it up beautifully for me to my specifications for just over £100 I think it was, and I have since gigged my Westbury all over the UK, from Brighton to Edinburgh.

It was the first bass I played that I truly felt comfortable and at one with. Personally, I have to feel a connection with a bass, and all the time my Westbury is sounding as good as it is at present, and is serving me well both in the studio and on the road, I will be in no rush to replace her.

So for me, in short, I highly recommend them! :)

• 5 months later...

I own 2 Westbury Basses. I'd put my old German trade Bass into the shop for some much needed repair work. My "courtesy" Bass turned out to be a Violin cornered Westbury. I did a stack of gigs with it and fell in love. The shop owner used it himself and wouldn't part with it, so I bought another through him and used that as my main Bass, although I still wanted the original. After a couple of years, he decided to sell and I bought it.
Its the best Bass I've owned and my guy said he couldn't buy the quality of Wood to make the Bass for the price they sell for.
As with all instruments, they improve with age and use.
I highly recommend them too!

BTW: They are imported by Eastman strings, but my two (C2000 and C2004), are Chinese made. Don't know if thats changed but certainly the case back then.

Edited by mart3442