Why become a member? ×

worst technical difficulties experiences?

Chest Rockwell

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1355740309' post='1901925']
In the early 80s while travelling to a gig about 60 miles away, the head gasket went on the van. After much messing around, managed to get to the gig.
Set the gear up and the stage looked perfect. Double stack for the bass. Double half stacks for guitar. Chrome double drum kit on a riser. Played the gig to virtually no-one. Took the gear down and put it back in the van which wouldn't start. The head was full of water. Fortunately, one of our roadies had driven himself to the gig. Unfortunately, he only had a Reliant 3 wheeled van but it did get all 6 of us and our guitars home. I arranged to have our broken van with all the gear in it towed home. Got a call form the old bill the following day saying that the van was wrapped round a telegraph pole and abandoned with the back doors open about 5 miles from home. You guessed it, half of the gear was missing. Managed to get the rest of the gear home using cars.

That's not all though. The £30 cheque we'd received for the gig bounced. Went back to the venue to see the landlord and the venue was boarded up and abandoned.
[/quote]

Goodness, that's not just a technical difficulty if you still choose to play bass after that lot it's a lesson in determination, endurance and character!

Few years ago in the days when I enjoyed prancing like a tit whilst on stage, fell flat on my face, splitting my trousers and breaking the jack off at the surface of the scratchplate. Support band's bassist handed me his bass; by the end of the following song our roady had dismantled my bass, fished out the bits of plug, put it back together, tuned it and hung it round my neck.

God bless you Rod McKay fae Leith, wherever you are now :)

(didn't bother repairing the trousers)

Sounds like some major horror stories have happened to one or two people! Worst I've bad was dry solder joints in my old Eden rig, endlessly frustrating as I couldn't figure out what the issue was and it was cutting in and out for more than one gig. Nothing's ever exploded on me though or anything!