Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-4Pro & 8x10 Cab

randomname25

hey, i have a couple questions regarding my amp,

Basically, i have a mid 90's (i think) Ampeg 8x10, it has a single 1/4" input (Pic attatched). Would it be possible to wire the new type of jack plate with three 1/4" inputs and two speakon inputs into the cab? If so is there anywhere online i can find a wiring diagram?

Also, what 12ax7 tubes would you recommend for a 'warm', 'round' tone?

Cheers

[quote name='randomname25' timestamp='1355078643' post='1893784']
Basically, i have a mid 90's (i think) Ampeg 8x10, it has a single 1/4" input (Pic attatched). Would it be possible to wire the new type of jack plate with three 1/4" inputs and two speakon inputs into the cab? If so is there anywhere online i can find a wiring diagram?
[/quote]

Erm, why?

I can understand wanting to change the 1/4 jack to a speakon (if for some strange reason the 1/4 jack was not sufficient), or even to have a 2nd jack/speakon for daisychaining 2 fridges when youre playing the Hammersmith/Dog & Duck, but 5 ins???

I don't get it.

I think the more recent Ampeg 8 x 10s have the ability to run bi-amped, i.e. as two 4 x 10s as well as a single cab, and thus have a plethora of connectors on the back to allow this (and daisychaining multiple cabs in either mode). Wiring details here: http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt810eav.pdf

It shouldn't be a difficult mod to do to an older cab, though personally I'd ditch all the jacks as Speakons are a dedicated connector for loudspeakers. It would be a lot easier if you only want to use it in one configuration, i.e. either as an 8 x 10 OR two 4 x10s.

Im wondering why too but im sure you could wire it is theres enough space behind for all the extra wiring etc
My SVT4 has the option to be bi-amped from either jacks or speakons, and you can daisy chain a modern ampeg cab (at least my 410HLF)
i guess swapping over to a speakon makes some sense as its a more robust conector.
Are you planning on running one out put from your amp or is this a way of getting multiple amps\instruments\effects into one cab at the same time?