Why become a member? ×

Changing basses (and deciding too)

LukeFRC

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1355262930' post='1896202']
Sorry Luke, I'm still not getting this "sell a bass" thing. Do you mind explaining it again...
[/quote] well I have a finite amount of 3 things:

1) money
2) space
3) fiancee's goodwill

I would like a thumb bass... but to afford it (1) and have space for it (2) without being killed (3) something must be sold first, freeing up money and space (1)(2)
I have a number of things I could sell. A SS1, my JV, my Jazzproject, My yamaha SG guitar that I still can't play, and my amp and cab.
Now I need one bass and the amp and cab.... so I'll keep the SS1 and rig. That leaves the other stuff... and the only thing worth enough to get the JD is the JV.
So this thread is about how you decide between two basses. In my case a JD and a JV.

Or.... more on your wavelength.... sell bass= bad, buy bass= good - you want to buy my bass? yes yes yes

I'm still not sure about this "decide between two basses" concept. I would work on the "Fiancee's goodwill" area - it might lessen the need for such painful choices. Once you get past 6-8 basses, your significant other will simply stop noticing your new purchases.

Your JV is very appealing and priced right but precisions are not for me....

Good luck whatever you decide

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1355303209' post='1896477']
Once you get past 6-8 basses, your significant other will simply stop noticing your new purchases.
[/quote]

Why did i picture a man sneaking a bass in through the back door, then hiding it when i read this?

"oh sh*t, this is my 8th bass... better sneak it in or she will go mad!"

I have the opposite problem. I have enough spare income to have many basses, or at least a few nice ones.

But instead of that I only ever have one at a time and never spend more than a few hundred quid. It is a combination of OCD and the "tidiness" of just having one bass to play along with never feeling I am actually good enough to warrant a bass that costs any more. The plan goes a bit wrong though - because they are cheap I change them a lot!

I've bought, sold and traded [i]countless[/i] basses over the years, Overwaters, Musicmans, Laklands, Sadowskys, etc etc etc...........and I came to the conclusion that I wasn't necessarily addicted to basses, but rather I was addicted to the [i]process[/i] of finding and acquiring new basses. The buzz of having some money to buy a new bass is more exciting than actually owning the bass itself. GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is evil, and I've been hooked on it for years.

For now at least, I've quelled it by going back to where I started with just two basses, a Precision and a Jazz. They're basic workhorses, they do everything I want them to, they sound great, play great, look great, and anything else is just an imitation isn't it? At the end of the day.

My advice, is [i]buy a bass you like[/i], and [i]keep it forever[/i], because selling it and buying another one is [i]utterly[/i] pointless. Believe me, I know.

I'd call that for very wise words, if they hadn't come from a guy who calls himself [size=4][i][b]Ray[/b][/i][/size]man. ;)

Seriously though, I think you're largely right about then importance of the process in this.
That said, I think GAS can take many different forms, and be accepted in many different ways. My case for example: I just need to have felt and heard all the differences and use a lot of money on that right now. Later, I'll settle down with e few basses.

best,
bert

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355303608' post='1896485']
Why did i picture a man sneaking a bass in through the back door, then hiding it when i read this?

"oh sh*t, this is my 8th bass... better sneak it in or she will go mad!"
[/quote]

Owww the truth hurts. Your location suggests you can't be my neighbour, your post suggests you must be.