Why become a member? ×

SInging and playing: foot and mouth disease?

dincz

A simple example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Lszt2HPK8&feature=player_detailpage

I can't do the count 1,2,3,4 or even grunt on the beat while playing a syncopated bass line although my foot has no problem tapping on the beat. Why is my foot so much better at this than my mouth?

On the other hand, over a line with regularly repeating 8th notes, I have no trouble singing a syncopated vocal part. Yes, I'll keep practising, but any clues to this neurological mystery, and is this usual?

It's all practice.

I play in a duo and a trio, without drums. These guys are good players but the problem I've noticed is that both guitarists sometimes tap their foot in time with their playing and not "in time".

That makes it very difficult for me to keep the real time.

On the other hand, I think that the more we play the better my timing is becoming, so that's a result.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1356972437' post='1915872']
id love to be able to sing and play at the same time,as then i could start my own motorhead alike band!!! singing and playing would give me more musical freedom to do what i want
[/quote]

I don't think you'd need to be able to sing or play bass for that would you? ;)

This is something I need to work on too. At the moment I can just about play quavers and shout. A technique I'm trying is to find places where vocals and bass hit key notes simultaneously and making sure to emphasise those, then the rest should follow. I emphasise should.