Why become a member? ×

Just tried an American Standard Fender P5....great bass!

Musicman20

The chaps at JG Windows in Newcastle had a lovely new P5 in when I popped in today.

White/Tort/Rosewood. Stunningly light and great paint job. Not a perfect neck pocket but very damn close.

The neck profile is brilliant. 18mm spacing, sounds like a P. The B string blends with the other strings which is, IMO, better than the over powering Bs some players like.

Compared to, for example, my Ray 5HS, the B wasn't as punchy, but to be fair it's a passive P bass.

Very easy to play and super light. Very impressed with it.

If you are on the fence about one, id suggest you try one ASAP.

The store isn't the cheapest but the staff were really nice and helpful. No pressure, no pushy sales technique.

Edited by Musicman20

I really like the look of these basses and would love to try one , but all the recent Fender price hikes coupled with the fact that the 5 string Am St. basses missed out on the 2012 pickup upograde ( but still copped the price increase ) means that I would always be kicking myself for not buying the same bass cheaper when they came out . Still like 'em though .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354306841' post='1884750']
I really like the look of these basses and would love to try one , but all the recent Fender price hikes coupled with the fact that the 5 string Am St. basses missed out on the 2012 pickup upograde ( but still copped the price increase ) means that I would always be kicking myself for not buying the same bass cheaper when they came out . Still like 'em though .
[/quote]

Agreed! I'm thinking of getting a P4 and J4 in that colour combo though...it was stunning.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354307208' post='1884752']
Agreed! I'm thinking of getting a P4 and J4 in that colour combo though...it was stunning.
[/quote]

You can't beat Olympic White for a Fender, either with rosewood or maple . Strange as this may sound though , my experience has been that when it comes to the much -vaunted Fender lottery , the sunburst basses fare much better than the white ones . I looked at five Olympic White Jazz Basses that were all wrong in one way or another before giving up . The sunbursts were all pretty much perfect in all respects - nut slots . fret work , neck pocket , weight ect . Coincidence ?

I've got an Oly White Fender P5 and I just love it! Build quality seems as good as any other Fender I've tried. Although in no way exotic I just find it sits in the mix, be it live or recorded, like no other bass I've owned. I haven't changed the strings in a year and it still records great, whereas my Stingray 5 sounds dull after just a few weeks. I think the P5 is criminally underrated!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354307644' post='1884758']

You can't beat Olympic White for a Fender, either with rosewood or maple . Strange as this may sound though , my experience has been that when it comes to the much -vaunted Fender lottery , the sunburst basses fare much better than the white ones . I looked at five Olympic White Jazz Basses that were all wrong in one way or another before giving up . The sunbursts were all pretty much perfect in all respects - nut slots . fret work , neck pocket , weight ect . Coincidence ?
[/quote]

I reckon neck pocket wise it's just loads more obvious if its a touch out on a white bass.

But yeah that is odd!

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1354308282' post='1884764']
I've got an Oly White Fender P5 and I just love it! Build quality seems as good as any other Fender I've tried. Although in no way exotic I just find it sits in the mix, be it live or recorded, like no other bass I've owned. I haven't changed the strings in a year and it still records great, whereas my Stingray 5 sounds dull after just a few weeks. I think the P5 is criminally underrated!
[/quote]
So your finding a passive P with year old strings to be more lively than a ray with strings a few weeks old? You do know it needs a 9v battery in the back of it? :lol:

I could be interested in trying one of these P5's you know and in that colour combo.......hmmm......gas.......

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354309261' post='1884781']
I reckon neck pocket wise it's just loads more obvious if its a touch out on a white bass.

But yeah that is odd!
[/quote]

If I remember correctly , didn't you buy a Am St P in white that had a gaping neck pocket gap ?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354312647' post='1884850']
If I remember correctly , didn't you buy a Am St P in white that had a gaping neck pocket gap ?
[/quote]

Indeed! Some time back now...it looked like a 'Friday' afternoon job to be honest.

But...as is with Fender....you kinda have to make sure you are picky until you get a good un.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354312738' post='1884854']
Indeed! Some time back now...it looked like a 'Friday' afternoon job to be honest.

But...as is with Fender....you kinda have to make sure you are picky until you get a good un.
[/quote]

As I know you are well aware , that can be very long and frustrating process when buying sight -unseen .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354310063' post='1884798']

So your finding a passive P with year old strings to be more lively than a ray with strings a few weeks old? You do know it needs a 9v battery in the back of it? :lol:
[/quote]

In a word, yes! The P retains a usable tone despite old strings (ok, I wouldn't go as far as bright, but not dull) whereas I can boost the treble on the SR5 but it still sounds like old strings for recording. I'll admit this may have a lot to do with how famous P and MM players string changing habits alter how I expect each bass to sound! (Eg Jamerson vs Flea)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354305766' post='1884733'] The chaps at JG Windows in Newcastle had a lovely new P5 in when I popped in today. White/Tort/Rosewood. Stunningly light and great paint job. Not a perfect neck pocket but very damn close. The neck profile is brilliant. 18mm spacing, sounds like a P. The B string blends with the other strings which is, IMO, better than the over powering Bs some players like. Compared to, for example, my Ray 5HS, the B wasn't as punchy, but to be fair it's a passive P bass. Very easy to play and super light. Very impressed with it. If you are on the fence about one, id suggest you try one ASAP. The store isn't the cheapest but the staff were really nice and helpful. No pressure, no pushy sales technique. [/quote]

Got to agree with you, they're wonderful basses. Played one of the earlier ones they brought out (first year of production I think) in Boston and it was a cracking bass. Think I played it through an Ampeg halfstack in store, sounded fab. Ended up buying a Geddy that day instead but it definitely left an impression. If they did it in 35 inches I'd be all over it like a rash!