Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic RH450 v Orange Terror Bass 500 v MarkBass LittleMark III (or II) v GK MB500

lloydage

Hi guys

Im sure this thread has come up before but I wanted to get your opinions on these amps (heads). I play bluesy fast-paced garage rock and we are loud. I need something punchy that cuts through the mix and doesnt weigh a ton.

How do these 4 amps stack up to each other? Which ones have used? Which ones do you like and why? Are there any amps I have overlooked completely?

Any advice / opinions would be great.

Cheers
Lloyd

I was going to say you've picked 4 very different amps there - and no Genz Benz on the list either.
If you like the tone of the RH450 then it is, as the dark lord say, not bad. It does have it's own tone and compression pattern though- but sounds like it might suit your music type.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1354119666' post='1882328']
I was going to say you've picked 4 very different amps there - and no Genz Benz on the list either.
If you like the tone of the RH450 then it is, as the dark lord say, not bad. It does have it's own tone and compression pattern though- but sounds like it might suit your music type.
[/quote]

Which Genz Benz would you recommend?

I`ve not had the RH450, but did have a Classic 450. Otherwise have had all of them (well Markbass Little Mark Tube, which as I understand is the LMIII with tube facility, and currently have a CMD121 combo which is the LMIII in a combo), and my fave is the Markbass. All of the others are very good amps, but for me, I get more of the "felt as well as heard" thing with the Markbass than I got with the others.

Plus, every time I`ve heard someone using Markbass, as an audience member, I loved the sound, and the way it just sits in that "right" spot in the mix. Never too low and rumbly, though a good solid presence on the lows, plus never too shrill and toppy - much like the way Ampeg sits in the mix,really.

Edit - all of them are plenty loud amps. So long as you have good efficient speaker cab(s), no problems being heard with any of them.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1354121100' post='1882361']
I`ve not had the RH450, but did have a Classic 450. Otherwise have had all of them (well Markbass Little Mark Tube, which as I understand is the LMIII with tube facility, and currently have a CMD121 combo which is the LMIII in a combo), and my fave is the Markbass. All of the others are very good amps, but for me, I get more of the "felt as well as heard" thing with the Markbass than I got with the others.

Plus, every time I`ve heard someone using Markbass, as an audience member, I loved the sound, and the way it just sits in that "right" spot in the mix. Never too low and rumbly, though a good solid presence on the lows, plus never too shrill and toppy - much like the way Ampeg sits in the mix,really.

Edit - all of them are plenty loud amps. So long as you have good efficient speaker cab(s), no problems being heard with any of them.
[/quote]

I do hear a lot of good things about Markbass. If I were to get the LMIII, which cab would you recommend with it. I dont want to break my back lifting a 4x10 so was thinking of getting a pair of 2x10s but which ones? A Standard 102HF? or Traveller 102P?

[quote name='lloydage' timestamp='1354123325' post='1882396']
I do hear a lot of good things about Markbass. If I were to get the LMIII, which cab would you recommend with it. I dont want to break my back lifting a 4x10 so was thinking of getting a pair of 2x10s but which ones? A Standard 102HF? or Traveller 102P?
[/quote]

Well I`ve not used either, but from my experience of the 104HR, which is rear-ported, I`d probably go for the Traveller which is the same. I think the HF are supposed to have more lows though, so if you play a 5 string that may be the better option.

I've been through the LMIII, MB500, terror bass 500, ABM500 and GK 700RB II. Finally settled on an Ashdown Spyder 550 which, although is not the smallest, lightest amp in the world, does what I want. Simply a great, clean bass tone, with punch and authority, with all the tonal adjustability I need.

For Genz, take a look at the Shuttle 6.2. A very high quality product.