Why become a member? ×

Bass Neck Replacement Needed?

topcat3355

My bass has decided that if I straighten the neck, even with the bridge all the way up, there will be MILLIONZ fretbuzz! I have noticed that the nut is very low to the fretboard, so should I just replace that instead? It's not a standard nut, it's a bit like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31S9FgVHw5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Thoughts? :)

Low string action is a balance between strings, neck relief, proper intonation, and a good level fret job (with pickup adjustment way down the list). Have your luthier check all your frets for level, and then make sure the neck starts with the proper or recommended relief, then go from there a quarter turn to see what happens. With Fender-style necks, a little relief is expected; with Rickenbacker, straight is spec'd.

The nut will only have an effect on the OPEN strings. When you fret a string the nut is effectively bypassed by your finger and the fret. If you are getting rattling on FRETTED notes then it's not a problem with the nut.

In general the neck should not be perfectly straight but should have a very slight bow, or curve, away from the strings. This allows the strings to vibrate without hitting the frets.

The amount of bow, or curve, is called the "neck relief" and is adjusted using the truss rod.

A very low action and very little neck relief will almost always result in rattling strings.

+1

Get a proper set up done first. The £40 quid spent on this (plucked figure out the air) with a good tech will be WAY less than the neck and the grief you'll have fitting it. If you're unsure about whether or not the setup will fix it, make sure you have it done by someone who'll be honest and tell you if it's the neck that's foobar'd.

Well here's the nut that I have currently. I think it is a bit low to the first fret, I might order a replacement otherwise I might shim the neck
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.376452542445224.88963.100002414453634&type=1&l=ed8065d1a7

Edited by topcat3355