Why become a member? ×

Welcome back my lovely bass :)

lowdowner

So... about 8 weeks ago I stopped playing bass, left my band, turned my cabs off and picked up my classical guitar again and (shock!) grew my fingernails. All the joy and fun had gone out of playing bass after a couple of years of excitement, learning, gigging, and thinking bass was the best thing since sliced bread... I'm loving my classical again, and remembering what it was like to play runs, chords, melody and all the other classical-ness.

But I had a sh*t morning this morning with the other half - rowing and spitting feathers over the stupidest little thing - dunno, maybe the endless rain and grey skies had got to us. I Stormed out - spent the day walking on the hills on my own and thinking about stuff.

Came back an hour or so ago and for some strange reason just picked up my bass again, plugged it in and played for an hour. Suddenly remembered why I liked it, why it speaks to me, how playing along to my favourite music lets out all kinds of crap from me and lets me just enjoy the music.

Somehow the playing has improved - kind of relaxed and fun, I wasn't expecting anything much but what a scream, and it just seemed to 'flow' more.

Now I'm all excited to play - and play *lots* again :)

Has anyone else had a similar experience? A break and then back with a vengeance?

Edited by lowdowner

Yes , I took a break from music once .
I used to play keys 6 nights a week and worked as a copyist for a music publisher during the day . One winter I thought I'd give it a break .....

I didn't play a thing for 25 years .

In the meantime personal computers and midi came out .
One day I bought a laptop just so I could install updates for my motorcycle GPS which my niece showed me how to use and I realised that things that were impossible when I used to be a pro muso were now achievable by anyone with a laptop :o , so I got a cheap midi piano and an interface as a hobby .
After a year or so of training myself to simplify my piano playing and really listen, I thought it would be fun to learn fretless and EUB. The seemingly random times when I play in tune are just rewarding enough to make me want to persevere :lol:
Now I jam once a week with a bass player I used to work with all those years ago who is now learning guitar . I teach him theory and he teaches me bass , we have nothing to prove now and have a great laugh .
Funny old world .