Why become a member? ×

Hi from Cardiff

melodybass

Hi! I've posted on here a handful of times here & there but have mostly been active over on Talkbass. It's ok over there but it feels like it's time to come on home now to be amongst my fellow countrymen!

As my profile says I've been playing for over 20 years (almost 22 to be precise). Been in & out of bands spanning an array of styles from the retro to the modern, some slightly more successful than others. The more successful ones were not necessarily the most enjoyable tho & these days I'm in it for the enjoyment factor first & foremost! So after a fair few years away from the live scene spent bringing up my family I'm finally assembling my dream original rock/soul/funk band to play my songs & loving it. Looking forward to getting back out live & recording again.

My gear's on my profile too if anyone's interested. I can talk guitars/equipment & music all day. Thanks for reading!

Joe :)

Ah my apologies, I meant my fellow Europeans too!

...as long as you haven't got a music store in the next street to you that sells every kind of exotic guitar imaginable. Living here in Cardiff with its three crappy music shops that's one thing that gets to me on Talkbass, although I do realise that this is pure envy & not the fault of the yanks...

Hi Joe,

Welcome home!
This thread is gonna be awesome! I'm dutch too, but living in Norway. Ha! If this goes on, next thing you'll see is a guy from Glenrothes or Aberdeen welcoming you. :)

Anyway, you've been the prodigal. We've butchered the pig. Now behave like a good son.

Enjoy!

best,
bert

etided for speling and calryti

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1353417633' post='1874724']

next thing you see'll is a guy from Glenrothes or Aberdeen welcoming you.
[/quote]

Welcome Joe,

This is the place for you. Bert, i live just down the road from Glenrothes!! My Gran was from there although I don't think she's on here.

Cheers Leen.

Weclome,

[quote name='melodybass' timestamp='1353415539' post='1874703']
ving here in Cardiff with its three crappy music shops that's one thing that gets to me on Talkbass, although I do realise that this is pure envy & not the fault of the yanks...
[/quote]

What's wrong with Nobles Music & Cardiff Guitars? never had an issue with either of them.

Ah fair play I missed Cardiff Guitars, haven't really had much to do with them, might be due to their website :o ...otherwise there's not really much to choose from is there? Mostly flooded with cheapo brands & MIM Fenders. Try demoing a Stingray for example.

Don't want to get off on the wrong foot tho buddy, nice to meet you. & you too Leen.

[quote name='melodybass' timestamp='1353424365' post='1874794']
Ah fair play I missed Cardiff Guitars, haven't really had much to do with them, might be due to their website :o ...otherwise there's not really much to choose from is there? Mostly flooded with cheapo brands & MIM Fenders. Try demoing a Stingray for example.
[/quote]

True there's limited choice aroud here but it still better than Cranes in Cardiff, went there last weekend & they've got sod all basses, it pretty much all guitars now :(

Edited by MrTaff

[quote name='melodybass' timestamp='1353435322' post='1874942']
Cheers shizznit! I believe we share a keyboard player - Sion just started with my band Hyperdelics last week. No slouch is he!

How about a bit of this then?

Cheers mucka!
[/quote]

Small world innit! Yeah, Sion is one of the best (if not the best) keys player in Cardiff. We are both very fortunate to have his skills on tap. No doubt our paths will cross soon either at a gig or down the City!

For sure mate. Yeah he's an amazingly mature & tasteful player for a young 'un & he's got a great natural style, really into it. Let's hope he doesn't see this or his head'll fall off eh.

Can't wait to see the reception Betty gets for his return on the 2nd. I'll be there, I'll be there...

Back to the music...got any gigs lined up I can come & see?

Just noticed you use Elixir strings...good man!

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1353429700' post='1874867']
True there's limited choice aroud here but it still better than Cranes in Cardiff, went there last weekend & they've got sod all basses, it pretty much all guitars now :(
[/quote]

Yeah we've been slowly sidelined for a while in Cranes now. Remember when they were all over the bit to the left as you go into the back section? They used to have a lovely natural finish headless Status in the display cabinet there I recall, back in the days when I couldn't afford squat & was rocking a Tanglewood Stingray copy or summin. I used to drool all over it every time I went in, wonder who got that in the end...

[quote name='melodybass' timestamp='1353502974' post='1875249']
For sure mate. Yeah he's an amazingly mature & tasteful player for a young 'un & he's got a great natural style, really into it. Let's hope he doesn't see this or his head'll fall off eh.

Can't wait to see the reception Betty gets for his return on the 2nd. I'll be there, I'll be there...

Back to the music...got any gigs lined up I can come & see?

Just noticed you use Elixir strings...good man!
[/quote]

We are pretty quiet up until Xmas and then it all kicks off again. I think we are playing the Black Friday gig at The Claude if you want to check us out. Sion will be able to keep you up to date.