Why become a member? ×

Camera connection kit (ipad2)questions

As a big photography freak, I brought a cheap generic one off eBay a few months ago so I could take on holiday. The intention was to use my iPad to view, edit and upload via iPhoto rather than take my MacBook.

That was the theory. The reality was that it didn't work fantastically well. I suppose I should have invested in the "proper" Apple connection kit rather than brought a cheaper one as I ended up having loads of issues with the iPad only intermittently seeing my Nikon D300 when connected via a USB cable (as the camera uses a CF card and I couldn't use a card reader) .

Personally, I'd invest in the kosher Apple device. To be absolutely sure, maybe go into an Apple store with your kit and make sure it all works before you hand over the dollar.

T

Edited by tonyf

I've bought one of these for my lady to go with the camera I've also got her for Christmas. I hope it works but I won't know 'til after Christmas.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/iPad-Accessories/Everyday-Basics/Everyday-Basics-Ipad-Connection-Kit-5-in-1-For-iPad-1%2C-iPad-2-and-the-New-iPad

My memory have some seriously good deals. I'd recommend everyone to get on their mailing list and snap up a few bargains.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1352998377' post='1870342']
I've bought one of these for my lady to go with the camera I've also got her for Christmas. I hope it works but I won't know 'til after Christmas.

[url="http://www.mymemory.co.uk/iPad-Accessories/Everyday-Basics/Everyday-Basics-Ipad-Connection-Kit-5-in-1-For-iPad-1%2C-iPad-2-and-the-New-iPad"]http://www.mymemory....nd-the-New-iPad[/url]

My memory have some seriously good deals. I'd recommend everyone to get on their mailing list and snap up a few bargains.
[/quote]

Bloody hell. clicking on this thread has just cost me a £5 lol.

MM do have some great bargains. I had to take myself off their mailing list as i kept buying something every time i got a mailshot.

I have to agree with Tonyf on this. My cheap one arrived on Monday and whilel it seems ok for copying jpg's from a SD card it's too flakey to be used with my midi keyboard.
When it works it works well. No latency in GarageBand ( for example) but after a few mins I get a "not compatible with this iPad" error and things stop working. It then take a lot of plugging and un plugging to get it working again. Just not worth the hassle IMO.
We tried this on two iPads with the same result.

This has spurred me on to get the Apple version, probably today, so ill report back if there are any differences with the real thing.

Yeah, i know what you mean. Ive not got the Apple one before for the same reason but now ive seen how it all works, and when it does its great, so im going to go for it. If i get any errors ill just send it back.
Ive seen a few posts on line where others have had the same errors and it does seem to be with the cheap alternatives.
Ill keep the cheap one as my son can make use of it with his camera but i dont plan on using it with mine.

Ive just ordered the Apple one from Amazon for £22, it'll be here tomorrow (im too lazy to walk down to the end of the road and go in to Currys).

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1353487920' post='1875035']
Yeah, i know what you mean. Ive not got the Apple one before for the same reason but now ive seen how it all works, and when it does its great, so im going to go for it. If i get any errors ill just send it back.
Ive seen a few posts on line where others have had the same errors and it does seem to be with the cheap alternatives.
Ill keep the cheap one as my son can make use of it with his camera but i dont plan on using it with mine.

Ive just ordered the Apple one from Amazon for £22, it'll be here tomorrow (im too lazy to walk down to the end of the road a

nd go in to Currys).
Nice one.hope it works
[/quote]