Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own or play a Guitalele / Guilele?

Dood

Hi all!

When I'm not thrashing the pants of my 7 stringer, I work with a youth music group project. We use a wide range of instruments on the project and I have to say, I have found myself spending more time messing around with a Ukelele for fun. I have to say though, I kinda wanted something with 6 strings but about the same size as a tenor Uke.

Well, after a bit of a google search, it seems said beast already exists! - I'm pretty excited at the prospect of getting one at some point. It'd be great for carrying about as both a useful acoustic instrument for the workshops I run, or indeed for writing and just the enjoyment of something to mess about on which looks pretty cool to me!

The Guitalele or Guilele is a bit like a small acoustic guitar, but tuned A to A - the equivalent of having a Capo on the 5th fret of a normal acoustic guitar, so really, very easy to play if you already know guitar.

The two main contenders I have found via YouTube appear to be a model by Yamaha and a model by Cordoba. Kinda leaning toward the Cordoba to be honest! I like that cutaway on it.

I just wanted to know if any of you play one and what your thoughts are?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/miniguitars/gl1/?mode=model

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/guilele-ce

Cool! Thanks Jaydentaku!

Angel, yes I think as much as I would love the Cordoba, I think I might have to settle for the Yammy. The thought of seeing a £200 Uke hitting the deck at a workshop is a bit much to stomach verses a £50 one!

One of each you say? oh dear! Need to sell stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the Yamaha Guitalele; got it as a christmas present from my girlfriend last year! It's lots of fun, but it doesn't hold its tuning that well. I even tried changing to some high quality strings but the intonation is still pretty sloppy :(

However, its nice to just whip it out and jam a little!