Why become a member? ×

Vinyl

Norris

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1352763700' post='1867274']
It was/is common practice to listen to a mix on a small, cheap system. In many studios, Auratones with their 5" drivers were considered ideal for this purpose. And many a producer would do a mix to cassette and have a listen in their car on the way to and from the studio.
[/quote]

An unreleased mix of London Calling (on cassette) got lost on the London underground as the album was being finished off... Wonder if anyone ever found it...

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1352753019' post='1867090']
Can't give a straight answe here. Dansette was great , very bassy ,)
Early Tangerine Dream albums had great artwork, but the pops and clicks were annoying.
Sabbath albums sounded good. Sabotage was thinner than Kate moss.
Judas Priest albums were more warped than anders brevik.

When metal albums got pressed onto CDs initially , the quality was worse than crap.(castle records anyone??)
Eventually , remasters such as sticky fingers/goats head soup sounded great , with the orignal inner sleeves like the vinyl.
Used to love overkill on green vinyl, and bomber on blue, not forgetting levitation,)

These days , my lifestyle has changed and will buy CDs I like, put them into my iTunes, and play them on my iPhone .
Listen to vinyl rarely , because of this. Don't buy mp3s tho'.
Nearly forgot, the needle used to stick/jump. Don't miss that.
[/quote]

Dansettes had a single EL84, a 7X4 eliptical speaker in what was in effect a large enclosure, and mor importantly, a ceramic cartridge called a TC8H, that had almost a volt output, with little regard to quality, and a very different frequency response to a magnetic cartridge like you see on decent systems.

Might be something to do with it.

I think things have moved on. The quality of music nowadays is variable. You could listen to something nicely recorded like the Neil Cowley Trio (regardless of whether you find that experience annoying or beautiful!) and wonder how some of the blaring at all volumes 'pop' music makes it past any quality checks (are there any?). But similarly you can hear some beautifully recorded old Motown or Stax and compare that with some of the dreadfully narrow frequency and dynamic ranges in some of their contemporaries. Not sure you can paint whole periods with the same quality brush in popular music (or indeed, classical).

I have a great deck, Rega Planar 3 with a K9 cartridge, for many years, since before cd days, always plugged in and available, it's just another format but gets played less and less as we don't buy vinyl any longer and so it has an increasingly smaller proportion of the collection. Records sound better on my cd player, I'm afraid. My deck sounds great, I thoroughly enjoy music from it. But, there's less weight to the sound from the deck, less detail and, of course, the 'sound' of some of the vinyl - similar to the sound of my frying pan.

I love the electro-mechanical bit and the fact I can understand how it works and the extraordinary detailed signal from a groove. I have little enthusiasm for my cd player, lots for my deck.

Convenient it is not. Romantic it is.