Why become a member? ×

Waterstone Tom Petersson Signature 12-string

NancyJohnson

My Waterstone TP12 bass.

I've had this for about a year and a half now and to be honest while I really don't use it that much I think it's a pretty special and beautiful bass. A new pearloid pickguard arrived today from Pickguardian and it looks real purty, so I took some snaps.

34" scale, currently wearing a set of D'Addarios. I put some Dunlop Straploks on almost immediately, but that's it. All stock. Thinking about putting in an East pre-amp later in the year.

If you want any more pictures let me know.

Have a good weekend.

P

PS - I forgot to add - here's a scan of the review it got in the US BassPlayer magazine.
[url="http://www.waterstoneguitars.com/images/bass.guitar.mag.article.jpg"]Waterstone Review[/url]

Edited by NancyJohnson

I've been a fan of Cheap Trick and TP for longer than I'd care to say :huh: and on numerous occasions I've been tempted to get one of these. I contacted Waterstone a short while back and the prices aren't as mad as I assumed they might be but like you I'd likely as not just pick it up every now and again to try some CT or PJ licks :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='195927' date='May 10 2008, 12:09 PM']I've been a fan of Cheap Trick and TP for longer than I'd care to say :huh: and on numerous occasions I've been tempted to get one of these. I contacted Waterstone a short while back and the prices aren't as mad as I assumed they might be but like you I'd likely as not just pick it up every now and again to try some CT or PJ licks :)[/quote]

I'm guilty of being a CT fan for years too...I saw them first at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm, 1977 or 1978.

Always a fan of TP, the 12-strings he used were way off my cash-availability - the Hamers, Kids, Chandlers. I chanced upon a copy of US Bass Player containing an article on Tom Petersson, read about the Waterstone and contacted them - this was around two years ago. CEO Bob Singer and I exchanged a few e-mails, spoke several times and I tried my darnedest to set up a UK distribution channel for them (which indirectly is kind of how I ended up with this baby).

Bob is a really nice guy (check out his bio too - he's actually a brain surgeon by day) - he's a huge fan of UK 70s punk, The Jam, the mod scene and a big vintage guitar collector. He's very receptive to ideas and guitar mods and will answer any e-mail he gets.

The long and the short of it was not one store was interested in taking the bass (or any of the range), primarily because there was no profit in it for them because, as you say, they don't cost the earth and you can buy direct. Shame.

P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='195939' date='May 10 2008, 12:37 PM']Ah! The Jam connection may go part of the way to explaining the mod 'target' finish on some of the range... or maybe I'm being too simplistic :)[/quote]

Nope you're spot on. Bruce Foxton is also one of their endorsees. Steve Jones (Sex Pistols too). The target design was originally destined for an orange-sparkled coloured TP12, somehow it got changed to blue. The orange looked much nicer.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='195948' date='May 10 2008, 12:57 PM']Nope you're spot on. Bruce Foxton is also one of their endorsees. Steve Jones (Sex Pistols too). The target design was originally destined for an orange-sparkled coloured TP12, somehow it got changed to blue. The orange looked much nicer.
P[/quote]

There was an orange one (with target) for sale on TB a short while back but it was basically the same price as buying a new one direct (they had orange with target on the site).