Why become a member? ×

OLP MM5

jackers

Hey all,

time for another silly question :P

I'm looking to get a nice 5 string, and I'm seriously tempted by either a StingRay5 or a Dingwall Super P 5 (very different I know, they are just so beautiful and I love the fanned fret system).

I have never played a stingray before, so I was wondering how close to an SR sound and feel an OLP would get me, so I could have an idea of whether an SR is for me, without a huge outlay of cash.

Cheers

The Tony Levin olp 5 is well worth seeking out, I have two EBMM sr5s but can get quite close and happy to play the olp.......but.....the string spacing is tighter than the proper version which some people find too close already, that could be an advantage to some people but worth pointing out. The necks a bit more of a c profile rather than the flatter backed D shape on the EBMM. Hope that helps? :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

A Sterling by Musicman Sub 5 is a good bass at a low price - plus you could try one out in a shop and see if you like it before buying. If you want to spend a little more an SBMM Ray 35 gets closer to an EBMM SR5. Or you could try some SR5s in shops.

Pete, I've never actually seen a Tony Levin OLP they must be quite rare?

I have a Tony Levin OLP, it's an extraordinarily good bass for the £200 that it cost, even accounting for the Bart pup and pre-amp I've put in.

Flamed maple top, matching headstock, light, good tone and a decent B string. Some are the suspicious orange colour of Levin's original SR5, but some are natural... The pickguard i a bit shabby, and it's next on the list to change.

If you can find one, get it.

I have a OLP MM5, it's passive and doesn't have the SR growl but I really like it as it plays a lot like a SR5 but with a less aggressive more traditional sound, I picked mine up secondhand on here to leave at a relatives so I could practice there without having to lug a bass backwards and forwards and was amazed at how good it looks and it plays.

The edges of the body aren't as smooth.