Why become a member? ×

Sandberg VM4 or Precision or....(UPDATE...Yamaha as it turned out)

BluRay

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1353859560' post='1879053']
UPDATE!
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]following a visit to to the lovely-but-evil Bass Direct yesterday I walked out with....wait for it.... a Yamaha 2024x!!! Jet black and cool as hell.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Well as planned I tried the VM4 first, already convinced I was going to place my custom order (the candy apple red one in the store wasn't the one for me, and I'd got hooked on the custom configurator on their site). Anyhow....wow. What a superb instrument, and everything I was expecting. I was especially impressed with the neck which was so comfortable and fast, but without feeling skinny. Slightly more comfy than the neck on my Ray. Juuuust right. Kinda felt more like moulded plastic rather than wood (but in a good way, if that makes sense). Nice mid weight, felt substantial without being hefty. Amazing range of tones - but not especially MM from the bridge as might be expected. Super low action - but maybe a bit too much string rattle. Some easy adjustment would sort that out. Lovely rich P tone. I absolutely loved it. I reckon the 5 month waiting list is justified. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]But then I tried the yammy. I'd guessed Mark might spring that on me - so was sort of prepared. I've played one before, so knew it might sway me. In fairness, terms of finish and feel there really wasn't much in it. Both basses were fantastic. But after about an hour switching between them, I found I kept trying to make the sandberg sound like the yamaha. Seemed the 2024 was the sound in my head. It was a very tough call. I wanted both. Also - the Yammy is quite assertive and just knows its tone. You plug it in and there it is. Take it or leave it. The VM4 is clearly more versitile, but the downside of that is quite a lot of fiddling arround to find the sound I was looking for. Dare say I'd have it sussed given more time - so in no way a bad thing. But the yammy just grabbed me by the throat and that was that. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I'd done my homework before visiting the store and think I got a fair price from Mark (I actually don't think there would have been [i]too much [/i]in it price wise between the two - by the time I'd spec-ed the sandberg and got carried away with the extras), and great buying experience all round. Mark knows his products sell themselves - and customers just need a little time to come to their on conclusions, with just a little advice and gentle guidance.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]My only slight uncertainty is around the level of buzz that the j pup introduces - very pronounced soloed, and also "there" with both pups together. That might just be my paranoia! We shall see.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Anyway so far I'm very happy. And poor. Band practice tonight!!! Pics and discription to follow at some point.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Cool, you got one of the proper Japanese hand made Yammies?!

They look great. I really like the sunburst ones.

Apparently that hum is present on all of them. Yamaha chose to leave it like it is, probably because they wanted a true vintage J sounding pup (which has its hum but also has glorious tone!).

I also had a quick check over a Sandberg on Friday (relic TM4). To be honest, I felt myself straying further away the more I held it. Nice bass, well made, the relic isn't my thing at all, and it looked a bit fake, but I haven't seen a non-relic one yet in the flesh.

My worry with the Sandberg is the delano pups and the pre-amp....I know i'd end up just wanting to use a classic passive P or J bass, or a Musicman. If I wanted an active EQ I have the Aguilar TH pedal which is their active EQ in pedal format with drive and DI/etc, so if I get another J or P bass I want it to be stock passive.

It's good to try these things, as it gives you a proper perspective.

The inherent hum associated with the rear pickup on the 2024x is very directional ; the proximity of the bass to the amp seems to have a big effect on the amount of hum . In reality , the amount of hum seems to be is fairly minimal , anyway . I think you've made a good choice , anyhow . The Sandbergs look like fairly nice basses , but these custom shop Yamahas are quite frankly a different class . I really would put them up against the very best basses out there at any price , no exaggeration .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353864561' post='1879109']
Cool, you got one of the proper Japanese hand made Yammies?!

They look great. I really like the sunburst ones.

Apparently that hum is present on all of them. Yamaha chose to leave it like it is, probably because they wanted a true vintage J sounding pup (which has its hum but also has glorious tone!).

I also had a quick check over a Sandberg on Friday (relic TM4). To be honest, I felt myself straying further away the more I held it. Nice bass, well made, the relic isn't my thing at all, and it looked a bit fake, but I haven't seen a non-relic one yet in the flesh.

My worry with the Sandberg is the delano pups and the pre-amp....I know i'd end up just wanting to use a classic passive P or J bass, or a Musicman. If I wanted an active EQ I have the Aguilar TH pedal which is their active EQ in pedal format with drive and DI/etc, so if I get another J or P bass I want it to be stock passive.

It's good to try these things, as it gives you a proper perspective.
[/quote]

I am right with you on not wanting the preamp on that kind of bass . I have gone right off active Fender -style basses lately for a number of reasons . I have found that a passive P or J with decent fairly high output pickups gives just as much cut in the mix and has a much better sense of transparency in the sound . I have particulaly gone off the sound of boutique -style active Jazz Basses that seems to be so ubiquitous noways . Don't get me wrong , I love Marcus Miller et al. , but it just seems like everyone has jumped on the bandwagon of the whole hi fi Jazz Bass sound thing . And as you quite rightly point out , you can use a whole host of external preamps nowadys if you decide you want to use a preamp after all .

Yes its one of the hand made yammies. I used it at band practice last night, and (even accounting for the usual post-purchase euphoria) I honestly believe it slayed everything else I've ever played. If ever there was a "get what you pay for" justification, this is it! There's no messing - the tone is just there. Compared to my Ray, I'd say it has a much beefier and useable natural tone. With the p/j and treble up, I was getting a HUGE Stranglers-esque tone. I dare say it won't be everyone's cup of tea - but for what I do, its the dogs nads. I'm still grinning.

Thanks for the pointer on the humm. I think it must be that I was sat next to my amp at home. In reheasals I didn't spot it.

Back to the Sandberg - I agree about the relicing. there was a heavy relic in the shop that looked like it came out of a skip. But it was so OTT I don't think anone would mistake it for a "real" fourth-hand been-everywhere knackered bass. I've never really wanted one of those either. The nice new shiney one was much more like it. I actually really liked the pre-amp and the fact it offers something different. It sounded pretty good in passive mode too I'm sure if I'd have bought the Sandberg I'd have been really happy with it.