Why become a member? ×

ampeg 4x10 he

bassmansky

hi,looking at reviews for my cab several people said that for 500w they seem to be quieter than other cabs and probably agree with them.i got 500 evo11 powering it so its putting about 300w through it .i have to crank it up fairly to be heard,anyone else think they are lacking in volume?suppose will have to get another 8ohm cab to get full power or sell it!

I have two of these cabs. they are 500w, sound superb and matched with my svt 3pro (450w) give loads of volume.

have you checked your:

leads?
iec cable?
bass - if its active battery could be gone?
does your amp have an ohms selector witch?

an ashdown evo should power this no probs - try with another amp. the only other thing I could think of is that the output channel fuses may be on their way out on the evo. it is an easy fix if this is the case.

andy

Bear in mind also that the 500w rating for your, or any, cab is an indication of the power it can handle coming in from the amp, it's not what the cab puts out (cabs don't put out watts, amps do). What makes one cab louder than another is speaker efficiency. This is defined in db/meter/watt and is derived by feeding a 1watt test signal into the cab, measure how loud it is in decibels at a distance of 1 metre.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

I have the same cabinet; it sounds awesome with my EBS TD650, but with my Ashdown ABM 500 it does sound quiet compared to using either my 1 x 15 or 2 x 10 Ashdown 8 ohms cabs! I can't explain why. I'm thinking of buying some Neodymium speakers and making my Ampeg a 4 ohms cabinet, which should make the ABM louder. Mind you since getting the EBS it has gone into semi-retirement, rehearsals only.

Cheers

Charla

well tryed it and sounded loud enough to me .especially when i hooked up a te 1x15,although the sound coming out of it was a bit muffled,did i read on here that its not a good idea too mix cabs together?IE ampeg with ashdown,trace with peavey etc.think it would look better anyway if kept the same.

Edited by bassmansky

[quote name='bassmansky' post='201389' date='May 18 2008, 09:41 AM']....i read on here that its not a good idea too mix cabs together....[/quote]
I would take that comment with a pinch of salt.
You can easily get a great sound, and for years many of us have, by mixing and matching cabs. 10's and 15's sound great and I'm finding out at the moment that 10's and 12's go well together.

[quote name='chris_b' post='201433' date='May 18 2008, 11:28 AM']I would take that comment with a pinch of salt.
You can easily get a great sound, and for years many of us have, by mixing and matching cabs. 10's and 15's sound great and I'm finding out at the moment that 10's and 12's go well together.[/quote]
wondered if i would have been better with 1x15 &2x10.what i meant was with my ampeg 4x10 cab i should really add ampeg cabs like 1x15 or 1x12 or 2x10 instead of say a trace,peavey,ashdown cab.