Why become a member? ×

Edinburgh music shops??

GUI101

Hi All,
I'm based in liverpool where we have naff all in the way of decent music shops that will stock any kind of higher end gear (gk, Aguilar, swr, markbass etc etc) although they will order gear in for you, but only if your buying giving little opportunity to try anything out first

But I will be taking the missus for a long weekend in Edinburgh fairly soon and as she is the understanding sort, doesn't mind me spending sometime in the hunt for new gear......

So my question is are there any good quality music shops in Edinburgh and if so where are they??

Thanks in advance guys.
Gui.

Reddog music is based in the grassmarket right in the middle of the oldtown. It stocks markbass gear. Guitar guitar is out on the western fringes of town, on corstophine rd towards the airport. They stock Aguilar/mesa boogie stuff. They are the two main music shops in Edinburgh.

Little bit of advice about Edinburgh, bring an umbrella............you'll need one.

Edited by gjones

The two mentioned are the two biggest; but they're all fairly well spread out so it depends how far you want to go and what for.
The two I went to the most are owned by the same folk, Scayles in Patrick Square which is a part of Clerk St/Nicolson St (the main road that goes into the city from the south and comes out over Waverley train station). It deals in mainstream new gear, Fender, Marshall & they have a used shop around the corner called Live Music, which you could strike lucky in - or not. I liked them because they'd always do deals if you are seriously interested in buying.
There was also Rikki's near the foot of Leith walk which can occasionally have interesting used gear in but isn't worth a trip specially.

hint: if you decide to "have a bus trip to the zoo", it'll just happen to go past GuitarGuitar ;) which is do-able if you get day ranger hop on/off tickets.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1351981436' post='1857626']
hint: if you decide to "have a bus trip to the zoo", it'll just happen to go past GuitarGuitar ;) which is do-able if you get day ranger hop on/off tickets.
[/quote]

If you're coming from the city centre then you need to go past the zoo to get to guitar guitar... ;) But the point still stands---they're pretty close to each other.

Red Dog and Guitar Guitar are definitely the best shops in the city. There's a couple of others but they're not very big.

I just bought from Guitar Guitar and they were really helpfull, they don't have a massive range of top end basses (compared to guitars) but i asked them to ship an Ibanez from another store so i could try before i buy and they did without any problems.
It's definately worth the trip out there.