Why become a member? ×

Busking with "Mains" Power

yorks5stringer

Heard some guys busking near Camden Lock the other day and thought the Bass sounded good from quite a distance away.

When I got to where they were, it wasn't a tiny little battery-powered amp but quite a large Fender Rumble. Looked in vain for a mains socket in the side of the bridge but to no avail.

Suitably intriqued I spotted the ubiquitous 12 volt battery in the background coupled to a voltage inverter ( like in your Vauhall Corsa/Citroen Saxo innit) so they could run a decent sized bass combo and guitar amp from it too! Needless to say the drums were not miked up but they were noodling away in a very nice jazzy fusion way.

Wish I'd asked them the title of the tune because it's familiar but I can't think what it is!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1351976929' post='1857571']
Are you sure it was a Car Battery and not a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery"]Leisure Battery[/url]? Need to get a Leisure Battery ourselves, for camping.
[/quote]

Probably, I wouldn't know a leisure battery if it came up and bit me :)

Go to a caravan supplies shop rather than Halfords and you get a leisure battery rather than a car one. They're higher rated (amp/hours) so you can play longer and power a bigger kit (but sort out the maths first, there's a formula for working out what you can pull and for how long). Also make sure that your inverter is rated high enough, not just for the continual load but any peaks when you switch equipment on. I use one for powering lights when there's no maons about and they are very effective. To be very safe make sure that the battery has a water proof cover against showers (a Really Useful box with both the battery and inverter in is ideal) and also use waterproof plugs. I'm using the same sort of set up this winter in York to keep the lights on for my Peddaly Steve act as the nights draw in.

Steve