Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro 100 watt valve head - NOW SOLD

Up for sale is my Carlsbro CS100 PA, from around 1970. This is a great loud and clean 100 watter, it's in good health and working nicely. This has been my main bass amp for the past couple of years, and I have done a fair bit of work on it. It's had new filter capacitors, a number of out-of-spec resistors replaced, new ceramic sockets and EH 6CA7 valves in the power amp. Channel one has had the tone controls changed to a Fender type tone stack for an alternative sound, while channels two to four have the original, less mid-scooped James type stack. The preamp valves are Brimar ECC83s which appear to be original - the date codes on them check out to June 1970. Around the back, there are selectors for different international voltages and 3.75 / 7.5 / 15 ohms impedance. The mains connector has been changed to a modern IEC connector.
This amp tends towards being clean sounding, with a relatively low-gain preamp and high voltages for lots of headroom. With my band I've never had to turn it up far enough for the power valves to distort, though the preamp can be overdriven if you use a clean boost in front of the amp. It's very usable as a gigging bass amp, or would be good as a loud, clean guitar amp for pedal freaks. I have been very happy with it myself, but it's not the best fit for my situation of city centre dwelling, tiny cars, non-driving drummers and soundmen who refuse to mic a cab!
It's quite weighty at 18kg/40lbs approx, but the chassis is only 49cm wide (narrower than most valve heads), so it sits on top of typical 2x12" or 1x15" cabs without overhanging. I'm looking for[b] [s]£XXX[/s][/b], no trades please. That's cheaper than most vintage valve gear, and louder than an Ashdown LB30, making it a good way to get into the whole valve amp thing.
A local sale would be ideal, but I can pack and get it couriered in the UK for about £25. If you're in or near Edinburgh, you're welcome to come and check it out in person, otherwise it can be heard on Jen and the Gent's bancamp page below, where it was used on all of the electric bass tracks.

NOW SOLD! It'll be missed, but I have a valvey project in the works...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 2 weeks later...

A gorgeous thing of beauty. If I did not have two valve amps of similar era I would snap it up. Someone should buy it and construct 4 way channel switch box. Tonal versatility, combined with power and fixability. What more could you ask.

The oldest recordings (Can't look back, Disappear, Flyaway) are through an old Peavey 1x15". The first two of those are running a clean boost in front of the Carlsbro to overdrive the preamp. The rest are either through my EA Wizzy 10 or my B&C loaded 2x12". IIRC we used the 2x12" on most of the tracks where I'm using overdrive or fuzz pedals and the Wizzy on some of the clean ones.