Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone know if a Stingray 4 bolt neck will fit an OLP 4-string 'ray?

Beedster

Technically it should but... it appears that the way things are EBMM neck pockets have a tendency to be inconsistent along the same range, often too tight or too wide, hence the reason all their basses have shims in the neck pocket. It's a bit of a gamble, if you could try first before you pay, then you would have the chance to see for yourself.

My major concern would be the neck fastening screw holes placements, if one of these is out of line you are looking at a tap / glue / redrill job.

A shim would not affect the width of a neck pocket?

The shim is their to adjust the angle of the neck at the heel joint just like the microtilt used to do for super fine adjustments, anyone who likes a super low action often has to shim even the best quality basses to achieve this.

You need mcnach for the answer to the OP :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1351714117' post='1854603']
... it appears that the way things are EBMM neck pockets have a tendency to be inconsistent along the same range, often too tight or too wide, hence the reason all their basses have shims in the neck pocket.
[/quote]

The OP was talking about fitting a Stingray neck to an OLP body - not sure what EBMM neck pocket consistency has to do with it. What data do you base the allegation of variable neck pocket width on? From my experience their quality is up there with the highest. I would doubt ALL of their basses have neck shims. I don't think any of mine have!

The remainder of the post is possibly more accurate!

All will be revealed when the Tony Levin re-issue Sabre is released later this week :D

Edited by drTStingray

Most of them have a plastic one from the factory which suggests to me its intentional rather than a piece of fag packet you find normally, it gives people options as not everyone want a mega low action do they? For some people it could actually be too flat right from the heel to get that bow and arrow some folk like, not me though :)