Why become a member? ×

Equaliser and desk help - any sound engineers out there?

Walker

I hope someone can help with this!

Our band is mono.

We have a Yamaha MG166CX desk and I'm after a DBX 2 channel 31 band EQ.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I use one side of the EQ to shape the room and the other side of the EQ to help ring out the monitors?

2. Would I then just come out of my main out just using one of the outputs (and panning everything on the desk to one side?)

3. I've attached a picture of the output section of the desk - how would you connect the equaliser for the monitors and main out, considering the monitor mix will be on an aux?

We'll eventually get another EQ just to keep the monitors in check, but for the time being I need to try and work with one EQ.

Thanks very much for your help - I'm slowly getting to grips with all this stuff!

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1351686788' post='1854117']

1. Can I use one side of the EQ to shape the room and the other side of the EQ to help ring out the monitors?

2. Would I then just come out of my main out just using one of the outputs (and panning everything on the desk to one side?)

[/quote] Yes and yes.

[quote]

3. I've attached a picture of the output section of the desk - how would you connect the equaliser for the monitors and main out, considering the monitor mix will be on an aux?

[/quote]

I'd take the left main out (assuming you pan everything left), feed that into 1 channel of the EQ, then the out of the EQ into the power amp driving the main.

Aux send out then goes to the other eq input, and that eq out to the monitor amp.

I agree with bremen's setup - you can use the 2 channel EQ essentially as two seperate mono EQ's.

Depending on the setup of your desk there shouldn't be a pressing need to pan everything hard-left. In fact if you don't you will have the added bonus of being able to compare the EQ'd left channel with the un-EQ'ed right.

Edited by RandomProddy

[quote name='RandomProddy' timestamp='1351735164' post='1854862']
Depending on the setup of your desk there shouldn't be a pressing need to pan everything hard-left.
[/quote]

Oh, that's interesting, thanks for that, when you say 'depending on setup', could you elaborate when you get a couple of mins. I'm intrigued now!

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1351686788' post='1854117']
I hope someone can help with this!

Our band is mono.

We have a Yamaha MG166CX desk and I'm after a DBX 2 channel 31 band EQ.

I have a couple of questions:

We'll eventually get another EQ just to keep the monitors in check, but for the time being I need to try and work with one EQ.

Thanks very much for your help - I'm slowly getting to grips with all this stuff!

Cheers

Chris
[/quote]
We do exactly what you suggest - same mixer too. Every channel panned hard left (you don't get the full output otherwise) and we only use the left channel into one side of the graphic for front-of house.

We then use the Aux 1 output for a monitor mix - that goes into to the other side of the graphic.

In practice the monitors need 3 or more bands cutting quite severely but I think that's because our monitors are a bit rubbish and probably fairly peaky in places plus there's always a near rear wall reflecting stuff into the front of the mics.

In our case we don't find the front of house needs much attention for dealing with feedback - it's run fairly flat - but you may want to try and correct room problems if you have the luxury of setup time.

the general acoustic tone when not plugged in is dampened and some sustain is lost but when plugged in and amplified you get a bit of a better/punchier tone and the feedback will be greatly reduced,my banjo player packs both resonators on his tenor and 5 string,randomly i think he has some car wash style sponges cut in half with some old t shirts in there! basically enough so there is even pressure applied between the skin and the resonator to dampen the resonance, you should notice instantly the lack of feedback on it.

[b]Update - the EQ and left panning worked a treat - thanks all![/b]

[b]But...[/b]

For the time being, until we get a new poweramp, we've been running the L+R desk outputs (+4db) into 7 and 8 on the little Yammy mixer/amp pictured below. Everything is set flat and all verb and compression is off.

We set the channel level on this little amp to 3 oclock and the master to max and control FOH volume with the master slider on the desk.

If I inputted the desk into channel 3 or 4 on the amp instead (via the XLR out of the EQ), do I set the input switch to line level or mic level?

We tried both last night and mic gave loads more volume (the mic pre's boosting the signal I assume) but would this blow something as it's a +4db signal going into it?

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1352363310' post='1862079']
[b]Update - the EQ and left panning worked a treat - thanks all![/b]

[b]But...[/b]

For the time being, until we get a new poweramp, we've been running the L+R desk outputs (+4db) into 7 and 8 on the little Yammy mixer/amp pictured below. Everything is set flat and all verb and compression is off.

We set the channel level on this little amp to 3 oclock and the master to max and control FOH volume with the master slider on the desk.

If I inputted the desk into channel 3 or 4 on the amp instead (via the XLR out of the EQ), do I set the input switch to line level or mic level?

We tried both last night and mic gave loads more volume (the mic pre's boosting the signal I assume) but would this blow something as it's a +4db signal going into it?
[/quote]

If you look at your MG166CX you have a gain control on the channels with an XLR to let you set the channel gain to match a mic or line signal. It seems on your picture there's a line/mic switch that does the same but with predetermined line and mic gains.

The output from your eq is most likely line level so I'd have the line level selected.

You're not likely to blow anything directly but there's a good chance you'll overload the channel input giving you some distortion. You're probably having to keep the master volume very low as a consequence.

Edited by thinman

+1 for line level.

Regarding banjo, what I do with mine is pickup -> preamp -> Roland AC60 amp (monitor) and then use the Roland as a DI to the desk.

If you need to damp the head, usually a sponge or a scarf, towel or similar inbetween the top tensioning rod and the skin will do the trick. The pickup on my 5-string goes right up against the bottom of the bridge under the skin and doesn't need anything extra to stop it feeding back. My tenor has a pickup built into the bridge and that doesn't seem to have a problem with feedback, though I'm not using any monitors off the main desk and that might be a factor,