Why become a member? ×

Tell me about effects loops

gilmour

I'm looking for a little advice and guidance on using effects loops. Here's the background...

I've never really used the effects loop on my amp before, mostly because I tried it when I was about 18 and couldn't hear the difference, and didn't want to spend the money on extra leads!

Anyway, I've been getting a lot of noise lately through my signal chain and decided to experiment with the effects loop.

It instantly got rid of the noise, but I did notice that it sounded a little different, especially the compressor - it just seemed much more obvious it was 'on'.

Anyway I thought I should read the manual, to check I'm doing it right. I'm not sure if I am.

It says:
[QUOTE=Eden WT405 Manual]
Mono Pre-Tone Effects Send/Return – These standard _ inch jacks allow you to send and receive your signal to and from external devices. The effects loop is positioned post (behind) the compressor and before the Enhance control and the tone section. This loop is at line level; do not use instrument level effects in this loop as they tend to be overloaded by the higher signal level which can cause distortion.[/quote]

Can anyone offer a little advice and guidance on using effects loops, specifically above I'm worried about Line level/instrument level thing. The board did sound much better here, with no noise or hiss etc.

FWIW my amp is an [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/WT330%20390%20405.pdf"]Eden WT405[/url], and my effects board goes:

Bass > Boss TU3 > EBS Octabass > Mad Professor Blueberry Bass Overdrive > EHX QTron (going soon) > TC Nova Comp

Powered by a Dr Tone power thingy.

Ta.

Rob

Edited by gilmour

well, deffinitely trust your ears on this

It will alter the gain level going into your effects chain, so your comp will deffinitely behave differently unless you change the input gain or threshold setting. You should also notice the effect of the different gain level on the other pedals too - overdrive will have more "drive" with more gain, envelope follower will have more or less "range" and/or "sensitivity"

I'm being a bit vague as I don't know whether the input gain will have gone up or down, but either way, if you're happy with the sound, stick, with it!

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1351611049' post='1853238']
specifically above I'm worried about Line level/instrument level thing.
[/quote]That's key. Pedals are made to operate at 100mV or so, effects loops are at line level that runs around 1v, so most pedals won't work in a loop. If yours do you're in luck.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1351614412' post='1853293']
That's key. Pedals are made to operate at 100mV or so, effects loops are at line level that runs around 1v, [b]so most pedals won't work in a loop.[/b] If yours do you're in luck.
[/quote]

Which may be the issue you're having with the comp.
Definitly a case of 'trust your ears'

Si