Why become a member? ×

Quickie: value Fender Precision 1994-5 MIJ ?

OldGit

Someone's offered me a "MIJ Fender P bass" circa 1994-5. It has a T serial number.
Anyone know about these and their value in reasonable nick, all other things being equal??
I just need a ball park figure/cricket wicket digit

Any pointers for differences - woods? Fender headstock script, lettering etc ...

Also it's got a rosewood fingerboard but a skunk stripe and trussrod adjuster at the headstock end.
Is that normal?
I thought rosewood P's had the adjuster at the body end ...

I really don't want to buy a rebadged Squier without knowing it is ... :)

ta in advance.
OG

Edit .. Checked the guitar dater project and it says this:

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1994 - 1995

Is that good?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Jase' post='194042' date='May 7 2008, 05:22 PM']Got a pic OG? Just for the oggling value really ;) ...nice pic might help, there could be a MIJ 96 owner here :)[/quote]
rather crap mobile phone pics available by PM only for various reasons ...:huh:

I'm rather after the generic average as a starting point.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='194095' date='May 7 2008, 06:22 PM']Id say somewhere between 400-500 as a starting point depending on desirabilty and condition. A LOT less if its a Lyte...

Less it has a dubious history or looks battered. Maybe more if its unusual. MIJs tend to be pretty well made.[/quote]

Thanks Burspter ..

Ha ha I've had two 80's Precision Lytes and they are great basses - not Precisions by any stretch of the imagination, but not a lot wrong with them, and they hold their value well too ... But I digress ..

[quote name='Stewart' post='194248' date='May 7 2008, 10:33 PM']There are two here [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]Far East Guitars site[/url] (1 alder, 1 basswood)

Slightly later models in good nick - useful as a reference...?[/quote]

Thanks but they are totally different animals - Crafted in Japan (CIJ) works of art. Genrally held to be the dogs ...

I just had an email fron John who runs that site and he says the one I'm talking about is very standard fare, japanese pups etc.. Value £200-250 in OK nick.

I think that nails it down.

Thanks to all ..
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='194258' date='May 7 2008, 11:40 PM']I just had an email fron John who runs that site and he says the one I'm talking about is very standard fare, japanese pups etc.. Value £200-250 in OK nick.[/quote]
Yep, spot on.

The ones with the truss rod access at the headstock are the cheapest versions (i. e. basswood body, Jap pickups).

Still, they are quality instruments, on par with Mexican Fenders (and probably better made).