Why become a member? ×

Best Basses for Pro Metal?

joejackson92

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1350804494' post='1843557']
imo you should play something different to everyone else and walk your own path
[u][u].[/u][/u]
[/quote]

This. Seriously, try whatever you like and when you find it, no matter what it is, use it!
And hell, if it is a strange bass then the audience afterwards may wish to speak to you about it.

I use to play in Rock band and my weapon of choice was a Ricky, get that Chris Squire/Geddy sound and you're away and they still look cool to this day.
But as a lot have said, it's all about the overall sound and not what's written on the headstock to which I quite agree with.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1351287344' post='1849862']
Why doesn't this bloke get a guitar? He's playing it like one...
[/quote]

He didn't always, no clue why the 10-string, be better on a chapman stick...But hey, to each their own he has a lot of fun.
That's the real w***y side of Technical Death Metal I can only listen to in doses. Good for play mechanics but that's about it, they aren't trying to be melodic at all so if you want melody just don't listen to em.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1351295490' post='1849949']
He didn't always, no clue why the 10-string, be better on a chapman stick...But hey, to each their own he has a lot of fun.
That's the real w***y side of Technical Death Metal I can only listen to in doses. Good for play mechanics but that's about it, they aren't trying to be melodic at all so if you want melody just don't listen to em.
[/quote]

That's fair enough. I'm not saying he's bad or anything because he obviously isn't from that video.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1351326279' post='1850043']
That's fair enough. I'm not saying he's bad or anything because he obviously isn't from that video.
[/quote]

it's cool, I didn't take it that way just thought I'd educate anyone who might stop by that vid.
Sweeping is something I still can't do and he's rapid at it.

• 3 months later...

Its true what you guys have said, dosn't really matter what bass your playing as long as you can find the right tone. I've found my Spector too be the best for myself. You can switch between digging Jaco stuff to boomy reggae to tight-ass metal no problem. Here's a clip with me playing a tune by my band Karhu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU268uPYXv4

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1351295490' post='1849949']
[/quote]

He plays a 10 string as it makes it much easier to play what he plays,

Custom he built himself, also doesn't play a stick as they sound different and play differently.

The exact tune he's playing was written on a 24 fret 6 string, has had some octave re-jigging since, but he can still play it on a 6 string. (Saw these guys with Veil of Maya year to two years ago at some death-tech-core gubbins show :lol: )

Will totally agree, a genre with "tech" in the name is only that if it is technical meaning that's the focus...

I'm all for "chops" on an instrument but only if you use it for a reason. I think the main riff the sweep bit goes into is chuggin' heavy though ;)

Can I hear a vote for a Yammy? Lots of bands I've seen seem to use them.

Yammy plus ampeg 8x10 seems to work sublimely

Otherwise MM Warwick/sector or maybe even a good Pbass would do the trick

But as other have said mostly anything that feels comfy.. You can buy pedals and the right amp to boost that metaliness