Why become a member? ×

What bass does Robert Trujillo play in this video? a 4-string Jazz?

fred8816

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1350172379' post='1835526']
I dunno man. I'm not a fan of Metallica but why is it bad he's playing the bass?
Yeah he's a "less skilled" player I guess but other than that, how is it "inglorious" that he play it? I still don't understand this logic.
It is a legendary bass and Metallica are still pretty big in terms of popularity. Just think, you could get a big buzz for the younger generation to check out the history of it and then they may get into Jaco's music too?
[/quote]
I agree. Anything that keeps the music of the 'greatest bass player in the world' alive is fine by me.

Personally, Im amazed Fender didnt buy it considering what Jaco must have done for the sale of their basses.

I meant for the Fender museum. They could also make an exact replica as the Jaco models currently offered are really just estimates from photographs. Jaco must be responsible for the jazz bass being the most popular bass out there. Almost everyone who is anyone in the bassworld cites him as an influence or inspiration.

Trujillo did the right thing. A fan getting his hands on it and playing it. I doubt the Pastorius family will ever own it. There are several other Jaco basses out there that ordinary people seem to own with no legal objections yet we know most were probably stolen from Jaco in his latter fragile state.

Cant wait for the documentary film being made to come out.

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1350222518' post='1835910']
are you sure is SR5?- It sounds more like Tobias
[/quote]

One of the tracks I heard has fast, poppy 16ths, fingerstyle and it does sound like an SR5............but who knows! As you say it could be something different. I've certainly seen him using one in that era.

+1 on the film, it will be very interesting.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1350345732' post='1837745']
One of the tracks I heard has fast, poppy 16ths, fingerstyle and it does sound like an SR5............but who knows! As you say it could be something different. I've certainly seen him using one in that era.

+1 on the film, it will be very interesting.
[/quote]

I found this

http://youtu.be/7sySIkuAJgo

I know it was just a couple of years ago, but this is what it sounded in my head (and why I always wanted a TOBIAS lol)