Why become a member? ×

NEW!! Gibson EB Bass

bigsmokebass

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1349962369' post='1832756']
Nothing at all looks [i]faintly[/i] similar here? Headstock, the curve at the bottom of the body? Pickguard with the pickups, Bridge?

Maybe I'm seeing things :S
[/quote]

I think maybe it depends what you are looking at. For me the essential Mosrite features are bigger lower cutaway than upper (the Gibson is the more usual way around), German carve on the body edges (not on the Gibson), "M" shape to the headstock (Gibson has the more usual "open book"). Besides the Mosrite you've shown isn't one of the more traditional ones.

Bridge is a Babicz Full Contact Hardware bridge. It is an amazing bridge design. Check it out at Babicz Guitars. Jeff BBicz and Jeff Carano worked at Steinberger with Ned in Newburgh, NY and Carano stayed on when it was bought by Gibson. Jeff had the first production prototype and I got a chance to play it. Actually a very good playing and sounding bass.

I use Babicz Full Contact Bridges on a few of my basses and really like the.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1350050921' post='1834057']
Bridge is a Babicz Full Contact Hardware bridge. It is an amazing bridge design. Check it out at Babicz Guitars. Jeff BBicz and Jeff Carano worked at Steinberger with Ned in Newburgh, NY and Carano stayed on when it was bought by Gibson. Jeff had the first production prototype and I got a chance to play it. Actually a very good playing and sounding bass.

I use Babicz Full Contact Bridges on a few of my basses and really like the.
[/quote]

I've not tried one, it looks like right hand damping may be tricky as the strings seem to sit quite low? Have I got that wrong?

[quote name='basslowdown' timestamp='1350051178' post='1834066']

I've not tried one, it looks like right hand damping may be tricky as the strings seem to sit quite low? Have I got that wrong?
[/quote]

Strings actually can be set as high as you want. It looks low because instead of set screws to adjust string height the bridge uses a cam shaft. So the housing obviously will sit higher then the actual saddle. I hope that explains it correctly. All of my basses with the Babicz bridges are set to Fender factory specs, which to most is "high" action. I play with a pick so all my basses are set high.

I hand mute a lot with no problems at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1349966225' post='1832844']

I think maybe it depends what you are looking at. For me the essential Mosrite features are bigger lower cutaway than upper (the Gibson is the more usual way around), German carve on the body edges (not on the Gibson), "M" shape to the headstock (Gibson has the more usual "open book"). Besides the Mosrite you've shown isn't one of the more traditional ones.
[/quote]

Maybe I've been looking at the wrong archives ^_^ I know what you mean though, just when I look at the EB it gave me a sort of sense of Mosrite- more so, my point being its not a traditional Gibson style, nor a Fender either (as far as traditional shapes go)

*sigh* rant over ;) hehe

BSB

• 2 weeks later...