Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this bass?

Aiseymay

Hey guys,

A non bass playing friend of mine has ended up with this old bass that she got from a friend who found it. Anyway, she asked me if I knew anything about it and I'm drawing a blank. There is nothing on the headstock but there is a serial number on the back. Looking at the screw holes it used to have a bridge cover that's gone AWOL. It still plays. The pickup is a little quiet and a little crackly but it's got a nice tone.

Wondering if anyone out there has any ideas who made it or what model it is or if its a random homemade thing?

I'd hazard a Kay just going by the hardware, though doubtless other brands were using identical stuff.

Edi: Try this post - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/133501-kay-k-2b/page__view__findpost__p__1211883

I'm not sure that the model number is correct though. I'm not sure why, it just looks wrong!

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1349859797' post='1831308']
Going out on a limb and tentatively identifying it as Kay KJB 2B.1970'S.
[/quote]
Yeah, it's clearly a Kay because the picture in the post I linked to has the logo still on the scratchplate. But the model designation is a bit dubious. The only references to it on the web come from the same poster and the only vaguely similar model number in Kay catalogues refer to banjos.

Looks exactly like mine. Thats what the bridge looks like under the cover. Is yours plywood?

I could never find out much info about it to be honest. Kay made double basses before the 60's, ventured into electrics later, and made some cheaper basses in the 70's.

Edited by tommorichards

Glad you chipped in. :)

How did you ID your bass as a KJB-1B? The only references to that model on the net all seem to be from you, which is why I was a bit dubious. Later Kays aren't that well documented, probably because they were a cheap brand, and the catalogues that are online don't contain the bass you and the OP have.

The posts by DomJohnson are the links I'd found when googling 'KJB-1B', as well as various posts by Tommo. The thing is, Domjohnson doesn't seem to be completely certain what it is judging by the comment in his sig. So I'm slightly circumspect at the moment and that's why I was asking Tommo how he'd arrived at the KJB designation. When there's little information on the web it's quite easy for one person to make a post with information that's they'd misheard or misremember, and it's then repeated by everyone else who come across the posting.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1349957151' post='1832660']
I identified it as that as the serial number is on the neckplate. I'll upload a photo of it tonight once I'm home from work.

I didn't know I was the main source on the net on this bass. Kinda cool
[/quote]
Very cool! It must make you the resident expert on all things Kay now. :)