Why become a member? ×

ahem, err, excuse me, shy . . .

loafer

decided that it is impolite not to introduce myself, so here goes.
I'm in my mid sixties, picked up the bass as a hobby several years ago, I get more involved with it each time I progress a step (in my mind).
I live in rural northern Thailand, so no chance of playing with others - even if I could find a greybeard start up group - and I realise that that limits me a lot - so that sometimes I give up (for a while!).
I've been listening to music for sixty years so it is difficult to identify influences - my earliest recollection is Glen Miller records at my uncles house; my first live concert was Gene Vincent;
The first record I bought was Freddie Cannon 'Way Down Yonder in New Orleans'.
Favourite groups were Little Richard, Fats Dominoe, Animals, Stones, Stevie Wonder, Kinks, Ian Dury (the last live act I saw), Miles Davis, Bowie, Tom Browne, Weather Report, Led Zep, too many to list, everything except most rap.
I don't hear any modern western music here (last 17 years) so I'm out of touch, recently heard and bought Evernescence.
I'm currently learning some Bach (fascinating to play) and also trying to learn sight reading. Everything is from books.

[quote name='loafer' post='192620' date='May 6 2008, 06:29 AM']decided that it is impolite not to introduce myself, so here goes.
I'm in my mid sixties, picked up the bass as a hobby several years ago, I get more involved with it each time I progress a step (in my mind).
I live in rural northern Thailand, so no chance of playing with others - even if I could find a greybeard start up group - and I realise that that limits me a lot - so that sometimes I give up (for a while!).
I've been listening to music for sixty years so it is difficult to identify influences - my earliest recollection is Glen Miller records at my uncles house; my first live concert was Gene Vincent;
The first record I bought was Freddie Cannon 'Way Down Yonder in New Orleans'.
Favourite groups were Little Richard, Fats Dominoe, Animals, Stones, Stevie Wonder, Kinks, Ian Dury (the last live act I saw), Miles Davis, Bowie, Tom Browne, Weather Report, Led Zep, too many to list, everything except most rap.
I don't hear any modern western music here (last 17 years) so I'm out of touch, recently heard and bought Evernescence.
I'm currently learning some Bach (fascinating to play) and also trying to learn sight reading. Everything is from books.[/quote]
Welcome aboard loafer! :) I can't recall anyone having logged in from Thailand before, I was planning to go out there myself this year to see friends. Are you near Chang Mai?

Phew, I'm so glad my post got through - I hit 'submit' and got "cannot find server" - the internet service here is dreadful, and having finally got round to writing my intro I thought it was lost.
Yes, I'm not far from Chiang Mai, a few miles out. I'm sure you will have a good time and find this area very relaxing.
At a wild guess Crazykiwi, I'd say you are in or from NZ?

[quote name='loafer' post='192624' date='May 6 2008, 06:54 AM']Phew, I'm so glad my post got through - I hit 'submit' and got "cannot find server" - the internet service here is dreadful, and having finally got round to writing my intro I thought it was lost. Yes, I'm not far from Chiang Mai, a few miles out. I'm sure you will have a good time and find this area very relaxing.
At a wild guess Crazykiwi, I'd say you are in or from NZ?[/quote]
Yeah, more or less. :) I was born in the UK but my family emigrated when I was 10. I've been back here since 1996 mostly because of work. My plans for my trip to Thailand include a good bit of snorkelling and with any luck some fishing, but probably more around beaches nearer Bangkok, where my friends are. I'm looking forward to trying some seafood curry. I have thai friends in London who make the most incredible curries. However, before any of the travel gets booked, I have to get another job. So I'm not getting too excited at this stage. :huh:

What kind of gear do you have? Do you find it hard to find other musicians to play with?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have been away again, most unusual for me;
Thanks The Paul (?) and Telebass for your welcomes, this forum has a nice feel to it.
To answer CK's question, my bass is a'Yamaha Attitude Special' - there were several variations of the Attitude before Billy Sheehans appeared; mine looks like the BS version but has single outlet and Yamaha pups. My amp is a locally made 12" 100w combo, very cheap but I love its clear sound reproduction.
I don't get the chance to play with others and this holds me back - even more so than my lack of natural skill!!

I guess it is late in the day but thanls to evreyone who shares their skills and knowledge with the rest of us,
loafer

[quote name='loafer' post='206353' date='May 26 2008, 09:17 AM']My amp is a locally made 12" 100w combo, very cheap but I love its clear sound reproduction.[/quote]
Mmmm, do you have any pics to share?