Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision USA tuner question

omikin

I've got a Fender American Std Precision with the closed-back tuners (it's about 15 years old) and I want to swap them for the vintage style ones with the longer stems and the bigger backplates. It's purely an aesthetic thing, rather than for any functional reason.

My question is - will the vintage style tuners fit into the holes left by the more modern ones? They're genuine Fender parts (according to the website) so they should be okay quality, right?

Is there anything else I should be thinking of`? Is this a daft thing to do?

What do you reckon?

@rogerstodge - do you mean don't drill holes, as in screw the tuners in more delicately; or do you mean don't put the vintage tuners in at all?

If we assume I'm not interested in selling it (and it has been given a fairly amateurish "road worn" look by a previous owner with a bit of sandpaper so is hardly mint...) then is there much to lose here?

Would the main parts of the tuners (the bits that need to go through the headstock) be the right size to fit?

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1349528659' post='1827389']
Would the main parts of the tuners (the bits that need to go through the headstock) be the right size to fit?
[/quote]

Not sure. The Fender vintage reissue tuners require an 11/16" diameter hole. Your existing tuners are secured by a threaded collet, you can easily remove one of these to check the diameter of the hole.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1349536846' post='1827493']
As above.... but if you DO need to increase the size of the hole DON'T drill it, get it REAMED properly by a skilled bod.
[/quote]

This. But [i][b]IF[/b][/i] you do drill it yourself, drill it with a hand drill & have the drill turning in reverse. It'll take longer but it's far less chance of chewing up the wood around the hole. It's even better still if you have a steady hand and eye to drill the hole half-way from each side to meet in the middle.

And as said in many other threads, you can fill up the old screw holes with cocktail sticks stuck with PVA wood-glue. Cut them flush with a sharp knife and sand it down gently with a woman's emery board nail file afterwards. Try to keep within the footprint of the new tuners for a better look.

Edited by Big_Stu

Fender USA don't make closed back tuners! .. but I know which ones you mean :D
To simply answer your question: yes the holes are 11/16ths so the ferrules will fit. but there are so many reason why this is a bad Idea IMO..
firstly, which has been said.. you woud have to drill screw holes for mounting.
but more importantly, vintage headstock holes are tapered, smaller on the back and bigger on the front for the ferrules, this is for better alignment and stability!.. yours have the same size hole front to back so there could more string tension weight on the ferrules and mounting screws If not properly aligned and could cause tuning and stability probs!
There is also 4 indentations on the rear of vintage heastocks so that the backplate sits flush to headstock which is for better surface contact, alignment and stability. which yours wont have! they are not essential but if you want better surface contact etc.. they will need to be done correctly aligned too!. Hipshot tuners are better IMO because backplates are filed flat so there is no need for the indentations.
Also the binding posts (or stems as you call them) are not longer on vintage tuners, they only appear to be because vintage headstocks are physically thinner than yours! .. so you wouldn't gain any length!

If your gonna go ahead with doing this anyway.. I would get a good luthier to do the job right.
but in all honesty I think it's a daft idea and a waste of money. also, modern tuners are simply better quality IMO too.

[quote name='EddyGlee' timestamp='1349539264' post='1827518']
but in all honesty I think it's a daft idea and a waste of money. also, modern tuners are simply better quality IMO too.
[/quote]

+1 don't do it! :lol:

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1349528659' post='1827389']
@rogerstodge - do you mean don't drill holes, as in screw the tuners in more delicately; or do you mean don't put the vintage tuners in at all?

If we assume I'm not interested in selling it (and it has been given a fairly amateurish "road worn" look by a previous owner with a bit of sandpaper so is hardly mint...) then is there much to lose here?

Would the main parts of the tuners (the bits that
Lneed to go through the headstock) be the right size to fit?
[/quote]if the holes that go through headstock are too small you'll have a hell of a job drilling them out bigger, the drill bit will shake like crazy and make a right mess, mounting holes won't be so bad.