Why become a member? ×

Custom made Fodera 6 fretless Monarch, built by Vinnie himself

Shane

[font=Arial][size=2][color=#000000]Here's a beautifully constructed, custom-ordered instrument hand crafted in New York by Vinnie Fodera himself. It's in almost new condition, with the exception of a very small chip in the wood on the headstock (you can see it in the photos). Performance-wise it's in 100% working order.[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Top: Spalted maple[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Body: Walnut[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Neck: 5-piece maple[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Fingerboard: ebony[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Aero dual coil pickups with matching covers[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Matching ramp (removable)[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1][font=Arial][size=2]Included in the photos is an appraisal from a few years ago. If you were to order this bass from Fodera today, it would coat upwards of 13,000 USD, and it would take at least two years before you had the bass in hand. Why wait?[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000]PRICE: £6,000[/color]
[color=#000000]I prefer a pickup, or I'm willing to meet half way up to 100 miles from Barnet (North London). Parcel delivery can be negotiated though...[/color]

[quote name='k-sad' timestamp='1349196910' post='1823159']
"before they were bought out"
U sure of your infos mate?

STUNNING monarch btw
:)
[/quote]

I'm with you on this one - surely Fodera is still a private company and Vinny works, at one stage or another, on everything that goes through the workshop?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1349222618' post='1823642']
I'm with you on this one - surely Fodera is still a private company and Vinny works, at one stage or another, on everything that goes through the workshop?
[/quote]

Right around the time I was ordering my bass, about six years ago, it was still just Vinnie, Joey and Mika in the shop. I was in and out of there quite a bit checking on my bass. They were having some serious financial and backordering issues though. I don't know who actually owns the company anymore, but I know they got loads of money from some Japanese company, and that's when they started pushing their "NYC Series" cheap-ass basses. Whatever his involvement is nowadays, I'm positive Vinnie doesn't work on the basses from start to finish like he used to. I'm not saying your not gonna get a quality bass if you custom order a new instrument from Fodera today, I'm just saying it's not gonna be what it used to be.

[quote name='Shane' timestamp='1349517626' post='1827222']
Right around the time I was ordering my bass, about six years ago, it was still just Vinnie, Joey and Mika in the shop. I was in and out of there quite a bit checking on my bass. They were having some serious financial and backordering issues though. I don't know who actually owns the company anymore, but I know they got loads of money from some Japanese company, and that's when they started pushing their "NYC Series" cheap-ass basses. Whatever his involvement is nowadays, I'm positive Vinnie doesn't work on the basses from start to finish like he used to. I'm not saying your not gonna get a quality bass if you custom order a new instrument from Fodera today, I'm just saying it's not gonna be what it used to be.
[/quote]

Well - I'm not really sure where to start in replying to this. The principal thing to say is that the majority of it is simply not true. I happen to know several people at Fodera personally and, In the interests of accuracy, I'll list out a few points of simple truth below:

Vinny (note how he actually spells his name by the way) and Joey did not sell out the company to a Japanese investor.

The pair of them own the, controlling, majority of the business.

A further percentage is owned by Jason De Salvo who runs their front of house operation (amongst other things). He began working with Fodera in 2009.

Virtually all of the balance is owned by other members of the team who invested in the business at this time and almost all of whom are enthusiastic musicians - there is no big anonymous third party company involved in any aspect of their business.

Vinny, Joey & Jason work at Fodera every day. All three of them work 60-80 hour weeks as standard. This includes the summer months when the temperature soars in the workshop and they have no air con so they start work around 6:30AM.

Vinny carves wood and Joey installs all electronics and circuits - every day.

Vinny will openly state that the quality of instruments built by the company is better than it has ever been. Jason and his front of house customer service team have allowed Vinny & Joey to concentrate on what they do best - build amazing bass guitars.

Of course you could say that Vinny would obviously say that his company has better quality control just because he stands to earn more from it. However, if you've met the man (and Joey for that matter) then you'd know he is one of the straightest and most honest people you could wish to meet.

You may well be right that a new Fodera won't be the same as on older one, according the people who make them, it will be better. . .

N.B. I'm in no way trying to say that the bass you have for sale isn't an absolutely fabulous instrument, it certainly looks it, but simply that your statements about the Fodera business and it's owners are not correct.

Forgot to add - current build time from Fodera for a new custom is down to beween 14 & 15 months not "at least two years".

Obviously this isn't very immediate (although not overly long for a full on custom build) but thought I'd put the record straight :)