Why become a member? ×

ABM combo extension cab question

HarryPotter

Used my new amp in anger for the first time yesterday.

Very very impressed by how tight it sounded, despite being used with the master volume at about 3 o'clock.

That was my only gripe, I'd like a bit more volume from it so I can back of the volume (a little).

It was competing with a 50W Orange Valve Amp, a 50W Marshall Valve Head, a drummer who hits drums so hard he moves them across the stage and a PA system that was being given death.

Oh and about 300 Stoke fans celebrating going up.

My question is how much more 'volume' does adding an extra cab give?

And would you go an additional 2 X 10 route (love the tone - it's toyt, loyk a toyger) or a 1 X15 - I only use 4 string basses so don't need an epic bottom end - ooh err missus.

TIA.

The technical answer is another cab gives you an extra 3dB and will be audiably louder but not twice as loud. I would get another 2x10.

Sounds to me like you are getting to the volumes when you need to start thinking about a serious PA and put drums and bass etc through the PA. And get some ear plugs.

Mostly we only play venues these days with their own (serious) in house PA.

This was a charity do at a local pub, it's become a bit of a regular event.

It's currently a 2 X 10 combo.

An extra 3dB (if the maths in my head is right) would be pretty much spot on for our needs, any more and its DI to the desk time.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='192096' date='May 5 2008, 10:39 AM']Very very impressed by how tight it sounded, despite being used with the master volume at about 3 o'clock.

That was my only gripe, I'd like a bit more volume from it so I can back of the volume (a little).[/quote]

sorry to state the obvious, can you not just turn it up a bit?

Without an extension cab the amp won't be putting out it's full power. It's a bit like driving your car in 3rd gear and trying to do its top speed. Putting your foot down more won't help when it's redlining !

I'd go for the 210 cab too.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='192842' date='May 6 2008, 12:37 PM']no it won't, i agree but with the master vol up to 3 o'clock, it's got a bit more in it before you run out of headroom. What did you set your input gain level at?
I personally think you need to start looking at PA support.[/quote]

Depends on how linear the pot is. Whilst the pot is at 80% of maximum it doesn't mean the output of the head is. The output could be at 10% or 99%, turning the pot to max might make sod all difference. Besides - the ABM volume control only rotates between 7 and 5 o' clock positions.

[quote name='Machines' post='192849' date='May 6 2008, 12:43 PM']Depends on how linear the pot is. Whilst the pot is at 80% of maximum it doesn't mean the output of the head is. The output could be at 10% or 99%, turning the pot to max might make sod all difference. Besides - the ABM volume control only rotates between 7 and 5 o' clock positions.[/quote]

Depends on the input level too.
If that needle ain't hitting the red every so often and only lurking in the -10db area - TURN IT UP !!!!!

I spent a while being very careful to get the input level at what I deemed to be the correct level - a decent strength of signal with the occasioanl excursion into the red, I also adjusted the 3 band on board EQ to make sure that it was a fairly even response across all the strings.

Tried running the amp at 100% on the knob and while it didnt seem to be struggling or breaking up etc. I just wasn't overly happy doing it (old habits and all).

I think a 2 X 10 is the way to go for me, I do love the tone of the 2X10 built into the combo, and I am more of a mids man than an epic low bass man.

is it an ABM you've got? If so, the advice I was given about the VU needle hitting the red was - don't worry about it :)

I use an american P bass mostly these days and I can't run my input gain at more than about 11 o'clock without the needle wanting to fall off - can't say i'm sure it's a problem tbh