Why become a member? ×

Do I need a reality check or is there a solution

Maxcat

Hi all.At the risk of sounding undecided, Im undecided. Ive just joined a 4 piece country rock blues band playing small to medium size pubs. Had my current rig (Peavey MkVI, Black Widow 1510)for over 17 years so am quite attached to it (more to the Cab than the Head tbh), but I feel that for the bigger venues, Im going to need more power than the 250W@4 Ohms that Im getting. One option that I can do cheap/easy is adding a 210@40hms to up the output to 400W@2Ohms. Never driven the head at 2 before tho that is its minimum.

But. I am quite attracted to having the ability to split the stack by replacing the head with a 400W ish combo allowing me to gig small (combo) or large (full stack). From research the ideal combo would be something like the old Peavey BAM 210 (cant find one) or similar spec. Any ideas??

And finally and this is where the undecided bit comes in. The GK stack sold by Funkyhobbit really gave me GAS (if only it wasnt in Newcastle) so am I limiting my options too much by trying work round my old cab. Should I start fresh and tailor the gear to my needs. Unfortunately funds are not unlimited.

If this makes any sense, any advice, opinions, would be very welcome. I play a Ric 4001 and swap that out with an EUB for a handfull of numbers so 2 seperate switchable input settings would be ideal but not essential. Sorry about the diatribe but to paraphrase
1.Is there a problem with driving a Peavey MK VI at 2Ohms
2. Can anyone recommend a 400 to 500W combo that will drive @ 2 Ohms
3. Am I being a luddite by not moving on
4. If 3 then what do you suggest for my sitch.

As always I bow to your wealth of knowledge.

1.No. I drove a T-max at 2 ohms for years.
2.Not many. Even Peavey dont drive 2 ohm loads now. Used T-max combo maybe? EBS combo's will drive 2 ohms but they are "only" 350 watts and f***ing expensive. You could get a Dr Bass Airhead from Robbie - you can stick any amp in one of them.
3.There is much better gear than what you have - but if you are happy with it why change. You could look at an amp that will give you more power into your cab. Is your cab the one with a 15" ,10" and tweeter?
4.The world is your lobster - I wont tell you what to buy. If you like Peavey then get a new one - they are good VFM.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='192122' date='May 5 2008, 11:15 AM']1.No. I drove a T-max at 2 ohms for years.
2.Not many. Even Peavey dont drive 2 ohm loads now. Used T-max combo maybe? EBS combo's will drive 2 ohms but they are "only" 350 watts and f***ing expensive. You could get a Dr Bass Airhead from Robbie - you can stick any amp in one of them.
3.There is much better gear than what you have - but if you are happy with it why change. You could look at an amp that will give you more power into your cab. Is your cab the one with a 15" ,10" and tweeter?
4.The world is your lobster - I wont tell you what to buy. If you like Peavey then get a new one - they are good VFM.[/quote]
Thanx for the advice BF. The cab is the 15 and 2 x 10s. The more powerful amp is another way of doing it.

There are not many cabs like that and IIRC they can be bi-amped as well. Not sure if that bypasses the crossover but I think it does, designed to be used with something with a crossover and a separate power amp - Peavey were into that big time.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71657"]This[/url] might do the job.

GAS just means that you want what you don't need.
In order to get a great 3-way modular set up, add the 2x10 to your current rig, it will sound the same as you've liked for 17 years only louder, bigger, punchier and better. There was a Peavey 4 ohm 2x10 for sale here on BC a couple of weeks ago. It may still be available.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='192178' date='May 5 2008, 12:39 PM']There are not many cabs like that and IIRC they can be bi-amped as well. Not sure if that bypasses the crossover but I think it does, designed to be used with something with a crossover and a separate power amp - Peavey were into that big time.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71657"]This[/url] might do the job.[/quote]

Sorry BF Ive got "2 x 10s on the brain. Its a Megabox with 1x15 and 2x[b][/b]8s[b][/b]It can indeed be bi amped and the Mk VI head has a crossover with hi out and low out tho Ive never used it as I dont really know too much about it. Is it just a case of hooking up the outputs with the bi amp inputs on the cab. (showing my ignorance as norm) Always thought I needed 2 amps to do that. I know Ill do a search on the site like I should have done first off. Cheers for the info

OK I got the bi amp thing.Thanx for taking the time to advise guys. I think the interim solution is to get the best out of my existing rig and get a 210. Ill gig with that set up for a while then re evaluate.Also try to keep the GAS at bay. :) Cheers