Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a 5 string

BobVbass

So, I haven't played a 5 string since about 1992 when I had an awful passive Aria MAB 20 and gave up on the idea but I'm doing a lot more deps so I five string would make my life easier with the various key changes etc. what would be a good choice?

I like quite a wide neck, current favourite is a Lakland Duck Dunn Special edition (not the signature range with the jazz neck - it's one of 33 made and based on a Glaub with a fifties P bass neck type dimensions)

Prefer the deep creamy cut through the mix P bass sound, tried a jazz in the past and didn't like it, also had a Status Shark and hated that, Musicman Sterling, couldn't get a decent sound out of that either.

Budget.... £800-1000 max I suppose, secondhand,never buy new these days!

If you like 'proper' sized necks then seek out a Fender Roscoe Beck V. Pretty rare nowadays (and probably over your budget now, although I let one go for a trade value of about £800 a few years ago - my only bass trading/selling regret!). They are the ultimate passive 5 string. Would love to own one again... Does a really good P bass-type noise (despite the bastardised Jazz appearance) and plenty else besides.

Lakland 55-01 would be my 2nd suggestion. Lovely neck with wide spacing. Should be able to get one for under £500 - I sold mine on here for £400 last year. With your budget you could replace the front pickup for something more P sounding (although the standard pickups will get you in the ballpark and are hum-cancelling). I know dave_bass5 did something like this a few years back with a Lakland DJ5 - he had the front jazz pickup cavity routed for a P bass pickup.

You'll get a 2nd hand USA P-bass 5 for that money, but I've never played one. The neck is probably the same dimensions as the current Jazz 5, which I found nice, but not very meaty.

There are Lakland 5 P's, but they're rarer than any of the above I think.

Edited by Bigwan