Why become a member? ×

A nice problem to have

totodave

Hi all. I'm new to the site and would really welcome some views, advice and general comments about the situation I find myself in re gear. I recently sold my Ashdown Mag 300 Evo II 210 as I felt the need for a little more headroom. My first ebay purchase got me a HARTKE HA5500 with a Hydrive 410. This is great kit although I'm not sure the combination is best as the amp can only give of its best at 4 ohms and the Hydrive runs on 8, albeit rated at 1000W! However, I made another ebay purchase because I could not let this pass. I now have an Ashdown BTA400 monster along with a HARTKE Pro 4200 4x10 and a HARTKE 2x15. This is awesome kit. However, it is monumentally heavy to lug about and not entirely necessary for rehearsal and playing medium size gigs. I love the Ashdown, the sense of theatre in turning it on and those 8 (yes 8) huge KT88 valves starting to glow, is wonderful. But, I have no need for such power and the HARTKE itself if very powerful. I am finding myself using the HARTKE amp with the HARTKE Pro 4x10 (rated at 4 ohms) which is brilliant and more than powerful enough for the gigs I'm playing at the moment. I am loathe to sell the Ashdown but at the moment its just sitting (heavily) in its huge box. Can anyone persuade me that I should hold on to it? I want to be persuaded! Any views about what the Ashdown offers over and above what the HARTKE amp can provide? Help! Many thanks - David

There will be plenty along to say keep it because it's a tube amp. KT88s! Glorious! But I wouldn't gig one for double what I get now. Just too heavy.
My amp weighs 6.5lbs - just right.

However...
My favoured rig for keeping in the corner at home would be a silverface Fender Bassman 50 with 2x13, preferably with D140Fs inside!