Why become a member? ×

Which 6 string??

GUI101

Hi all,

Have recently decided to move onto a 6 string bass, as I'm playing more funk and R & B, with only ever having played a 4 string I'm not looking to spend a great deal on my first 6 string but would like to get a good mix of quality and value.
Budget wise I have between £300-£500ish.
I would really appreciate it if any of you could give me some recommendations.

Cheers.

According to this month's Bass Guitar Magazine the Shine SB26 Extreme @ a mere £169! Über bang for buck apparently. At that price it's hard to argue with their logic.

On a more mainstream vein, if the Ibby SR506 is as good as the 505 you won't go too far wrong IMO. One on evilbay for your budget right now it seems http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBANEZ-SR506BM-/251153734628#vi-content

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1349024411' post='1820801']
According to this month's Bass Guitar Magazine the Shine SB26 Extreme @ a mere £169! Über bang for buck apparently. At that price it's hard to argue with their logic.
[/quote]

This was my first 6er, and yeah, they're incredible! £30 for a pro setup including a neck shim and it was one of the most comfortable playing basses I've ever had my hands on

Cheers guys,

Hadn't considered yamahas until you mentioned them, but have just read some reviews and they come highly recommended.
Will be off to try out both yamaha and Ibanez (SR5006e looks stunning - tad pricey though!),

Has anyone got an opinion on/played an ESP Ltd B206sm???

Thanks again.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1349022290' post='1820770']
I would highly recommend checking out the Yamaha TRB6ii bass guitars.

They are just fantastic instruments for the money with massive tonal possibilities
[/quote]

This.
My best 6-string is a Yamaha TRB6II.
After that, Ibanez BTB cater well for what you are after, and these days come with very fancy woods, electronics and thru-necks.
As for the ESP LTD, you can't really go wrong. For some reason, being a B-series, those are 34" scale. Doesn't seem to effect the playability however.

Edited by Kongo