Why become a member? ×

First Double Bass Gig

ash

I did my first double bass gig last night with my Selmer 1/2 size bass, it was with rock'n'roll band Rockitt 88 and I played it on everything but four surf songs (which I payed bass guitar on). Got to say I was a little anxious as I was doing the sound too so there was a fair bit of juggling going on but I really enjoyed playing it and got lots of great comments from the audience and the band.
It's really made me rethink my playing and after getting tips from the forum about correct positioning I've only got a small amount of fatigue in my hands this morning and no aches or pains.
For amplification I used a cheap J-tone pickup through an old Rocktek eq pedal into my Markbass. No feedback and I could hear myself perfectly - the sound out front was excellent too I was told.
I've got to say if you have been contemplating buying a DB or EUB.....do it! It is incredibly rewarding and makes you reassess what holds a song together, I really felt I had more dynamic control over the songs. Great fun and not too difficult even for someone with small hands like me - so glad I found the 1/2 size bass it's a revelation after struggling with longer scale basses and EUBs for the past couple of years.

Good to read of your experience Ash. I bet everyone remembers their first DB gig. Mine was at my daughter's wedding, with 170 guests in posh hotel. No pressure then! It went really well and we managed to play the request for the first dance - [i]You've Got a Friend In Me[/i] by Randy Newman after 1 rehearse and a couple of run-throughs earlier in the evening. My daughter is still talking to me.
I agree, DB definitely makes you redefine what bass is about and brings so much more feel an intonation to those songs that need DB.

Hi Ash, I've only just seen this post, I'm thrilled to see you getting on so well with my old Selmer. The P-Bass is getting its first outing on Sunday night as well, I'm using it in conjunction with some Roland MIDI pedals to double up some synthy type sounds. Glad to see the upright is getting the gigs!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1349401895' post='1825952']
Hi Ash, I've only just seen this post, I'm thrilled to see you getting on so well with my old Selmer. The P-Bass is getting its first outing on Sunday night as well, I'm using it in conjunction with some Roland MIDI pedals to double up some synthy type sounds. Glad to see the upright is getting the gigs!
[/quote]

Cheers! Yes I got a great sound from it too with no problems, I have invested in a stand and padded case too - got to say I'm a bit obsessed with the Selmer much to my girlfriends amusement! Glad the P bass is working out, I used a Precision doubled up with some Moog Taurus pedals to great effect. Let me know how Sunday goes!