Why become a member? ×

pain management advice

paul torch

Hi BCers.

I'm after a bit of advice. I've got an important gig coming up next saturday and I've got some kind of insect bite on the index finger of my fretting hand. It's quite swollen but small and painful to the touch. It's not on the end of my finger but about half way down so it does make contact with the frets.

I feel I should be practicing like billio but also want to rest the finger so as not to do any more damage to it.

We'll be playing for about 30 mins so was wondering if anyone knew of any localised pain killing technique that would get me through the gig if it's still painful.

Cheers,

Paul

Best to get it checked out before then if it's still there midweek. I'm not aware of any UK insects who's bite alone would last as long as that, unless you've been handling someone's exotic pets? If you've got an infection there it's a diff thing altogether & a jab or poss anti-biotics should clear it in time.
You can get after the event sprays that work well from any decent outdoor clothing shop.

• 4 weeks later...

Crikey, can't believe it's been a month since I first posted about this.

Well, managed to get through the gig by strapping my finger up. Gig finished, next day index finger and thumb on fretting hand covered in blisters and swollen to a point that I couldn't bend them, massive blister on heel of picking hand.

This spread to other parts of my body, quite unpleasant.

Am now on my third different medication (antibiotics), turns out it was some kind of bacterial infection. Antibiotics seem to be working so am hoping to get back to playing the bass soon, I was even considering packing it in and taking up keyboards if things didn't improve.

So my next question is, do I deserve a new bass for being a brave little soldier?

;)

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1351333103' post='1850145']
I got a milder version of that last year.
The infection spreads from the finger to the rest of the hand via the nerve system, it gets swollen and hurts badly.
Antibiotics will do the trick. And yes you definitely deserve a new bass :)
[/quote]

Cheers mate.

I'll let the missus know you said it was ok.

:ph34r:

Edited by paul torch