Why become a member? ×

EBS TD600 head + Ampeg 4x10. Set up?

solo4652

Folks,

Our next gig is a mini festival with supplied backline: "EBS TD600 head and Ampeg 4x10", with sound guy out front. Ideally, it's get on stage, plug in with minimal faffing and play, so as to maximise the 90 minute slot we have. I'm looking forward to using this quality rig.

I've never seen an EBS TD600 head, let alone play through one. So, I'm looking for advice on a head setup for a neutral tone for use with a G&L L2000. I don't use effects at all and I don't tend to change amp settings once I start playing.

So, what's a good plug-and-play setup for this head, please?

Steve

I`ve no experience with that amp, but having used a fair few provided amps recently, I`ve found everything at 12 o`clock works well both for on-stage monitoring, and FOH. Not my usual sound, but invariably the amps have been too low-powered (50/100 watts) so this approach has been the most effective.

I had a very similar setup for a while, a G&L ASAT or L2500, a Ampeg 410HLF and an EBS HD350.

In terms of setup, it's all personal of course but mostly my amp was fairly flat so i'd go as Loz suggested and use that as a starting point. Bear in mind that if the cab is a 410HLF, those have a pretty big bottom, lower mids so be prepared for this. Of course, it may be another model in the Ampeg range though so don't take this as gospel.

If you go onto the EBS website and grab the user manual, it has a series of four or five starting settings ranging from rock to funk to fusion etc. Maybe of some use to base your sound around. Again though, starting points, add your own tweaks to taste.

Ultimately though, by the time your signal gets taken into FOH, your amp settings may only matter to you.

T

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348993365' post='1820346']
I`ve no experience with that amp, but having used a fair few provided amps recently, I`ve found everything at 12 o`clock works well both for on-stage monitoring, and FOH. Not my usual sound, but invariably the amps have been too low-powered (50/100 watts) so this approach has been the most effective.
[/quote]

Yes - My first thought was "everything at 12 o'clock", providing there are no strange knobs and controls that have odd scaling properties. I don't want to get on stage, peer bemused at the head, choose some random settings and launch into the first song with an unworkable setup because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edited by solo4652