Why become a member? ×

Changing stock strings to lighter guage

Greggo

In the past few months I've changed the strings on all my bass guitars from high tension sets to low tension ones, and I'm still having to loosen the truss rod every now and then! So it's definitely something you should consider, as well as re-checking the intonation and, of course, the string height at the bridge and nut (if adjustable).

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1348778726' post='1818200']
Its usually changing up to a heavier gauge that puts more strain on the neck.
[/quote]

Indeed, but remember this is a two way thing.
Less tension from the strings will make the truss rod's tension greater.
I'd wager you may need to loosen it, if anything. Depends on your action. If it's low, you may find it might fret out.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1348779108' post='1818213']
In the past few months I've changed the strings on all my bass guitars from high tension sets to low tension ones, and I'm still having to loosen the truss rod every now and then! So it's definitely something you should consider, as well as re-checking the intonation and, of course, the string height at the bridge and nut (if adjustable).
[/quote]

+1 for this but the other way around (stock to high tension). Mind you, the weird weather probably has a hand in this, together with the fact that I'm more conscious of the next bow now I've taken the plunge and fiddled with the truss...

It's not as scary as you might think - all you need to do is remember to turn the rod in quarter turns at most each time so as not to strain the neck in one great over-tightening 'yank' and you'll be find. Turn (slightly) and then wait 12-24 hours and re-assess.