Why become a member? ×

Biography of James Jamerson

Happy Jack

A stray thought caused me to go looking for a definitive biography of Jamerson ... hell ... [u]any [/u]biography of him, and I was surprised to find that (apparently) none exists.

Yes [u][b]of course [/b][/u]I have [i]Standing In The Shadows Of Motown[/i], both the book and the DVD, but that's not strictly a biography of the man although there's obviously a lot of biographical material in there.

I though Rick Suchow had written one, but it seems not.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1348585960' post='1815579']
A stray thought caused me to go looking for a definitive biography of Jamerson ... hell ... [u]any [/u]biography of him, and I was surprised to find that (apparently) none exists.

Yes [u][b]of course [/b][/u]I have [i]Standing In The Shadows Of Motown[/i], both the book and the DVD, but that's not strictly a biography of the man although there's obviously a lot of biographical material in there.

I though Rick Suchow had written one, but it seems not.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]

I think Rick Suchow just has a good part of his website dedicated to Jamerson, but I don't think he wrote a book. Would love to see one though, or maybe two...one from a fan (like Suchow or Dr. Licks) and one that's impartial!

It has crossed my mind but I have limited time and resources (I don't get paid to do this and have to give it my time when I am inclined to and have no other things calling on my time) and, to be blunt, don't 'care' enough about JJ's story to want to tell it. That may change if someone offers me £35K to write it but, if I am doing it for nothing, I'll stick to researching the music I love.

My understanding was that the book was written as a biography of James, but "Dr Licks" or whatever his cheesy name is got so involved in talking to the guys that were left that he made the film about all of them. I don't think there's much more hidden about Jamerson than the book and the extras on the film DVD?

Not slagging the author off by the way, but I wouldn't have chosen that pseudonym (says a bloke called Huge Hands).

Edited by Huge Hands