Why become a member? ×

New Year gigs

thepurpleblob

What with one thing and another I haven't played a new year gig in years. I think last one I did was in a pub and we charged 800 quid plus some tickets.

This year we've been asked about doing a gig in a reasonably decent hotel (£70 a punt for the tickets). I'm going to see the boss over the weekend and am a bit twitchy about it. We really want a table and some cash to shut the WAGs up but I'm not sure what the going rate is these days.

Any thoughts..... I might just get told, take it or leave it, of course!

I think the table is a good idea, but maybe 5 or 6 people at £70 needs that reflected in the fee..??

NYE is £1000 in a pub, IMO, but you have to be offered it.
I would ask myself what bar staff work for then put a band person fee on top of that.

Depends how long you have to work the hotel gig..?

We're not desperate money wise - we've never really done it for the money. But I'll look like an even bigger idiot if I pitch it completely wrong.

I don't know what the requirements are so will need to play that by ear too. I know where I am going into a pub to ask about weekend gigs but this is right out of my comfort zone.

Don't forget, playing New Years is essentially having New Years off as a person out for the celebrations. You can't really drink or join in on the festivities like everyone else, which is why bands are well paid for this.

Money shouldn't be a dirty word, don't forget the venue will be making thousands that night.

I'd be inclined to go in with a fee then negotiate extras ie a table for the other halves etc.

Yes some of us do it for enjoyment, but this will be a great opportunity for some pocket money. A weekend away in a b&b somewhere in the new year?

Dan

We do 2x1 hr sets and that is it...so all our prices are based on those times, max..
Sure, we will stretch in a few mins ...but that is on the gig as and when...so we don't want anyone to start imposing new times after we have agreed the fee..

Hotel gig charging £70 a ticket..?? at 100 people, that is £7000 without the bar take..??

I think the band should easily be £1000 plus the table..and the good thing is you are not that bothered about getting it, so you might as well say what it will take to get you to sacrifice your NYE's...
If the WAGS need to be involved...and no reason why they shouldn't be... have in mind what they will put back in drinks etc..

Or you could go in lowish with the fee but get rooms for the night... so make it £150 per man, plus table and rooms.

I've been working for a living for 35 years, most of it in some sort of "corporate" environment. I've never come across any corporate who throw a big New Year's Eve bash, still less shower the entertainers with dosh.

As to the numbers being chucked about here, context is everything.

Playing to 300 paying guests at a 5-star hotel is one thing, 50 drunken punters at The Dog & Duck is rather different.

If I could turn down any gig foolish enough to only offer me £1000 (because, after all, they're just queueing up out there, right?) then I'd be a happy bass player.

Not on my watch, mate, not on my watch. :lol: