Why become a member? ×

Fitting a jazz neck to a precision body - Does it fit snugly?

thebrig

[b]Please shoot me down if I'm being stupid here![/b]

Jazz and precision necks are interchangeable right?

But if you fit a jazz neck to a precision body, surely it wont fit properly.

Sure, it will fit where it butts up with body, but as the taper from the body to the nut (38mm) on a jazz, will be different to the taper to the nut of a precision (42mm), wont this create a slight gap from the butt to the 15th or 16th fret, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Am I right, and if so, would it be a noticeable gap?

I've seen a few and not noticed a problem with gaps. Some pretty shoddy neck joints came out of the Fender factory that way as standard anyway ;)

I think some of the Japanese necks have a slightly different shape, maybe they're less interchangeable.... I put a new Fender pickguard on my 62 Reissue Jazz and had to some serious filing to make it fit.

Fender Jap P body with Fender Jap Jazz fretless neck. Perfect. No gap in the pocket. With 3mm nut difference, that's 1.5mm each side. There's about 550mm of neck between pocket exit point and nut (topside). Not the greatest at trigonometry, but the increase in taper angle between a P and a Jazz neck must only be measurable in microns at the pocket exit point.

[quote name='Starless' timestamp='1348173647' post='1810528']
Fender Jap P body with Fender Jap Jazz fretless neck. Perfect. No gap in the pocket. With 3mm nut difference, that's 1.5mm each side. There's about 550mm of neck between pocket exit point and nut (topside). Not the greatest at trigonometry, but the increase in taper angle between a P and a Jazz neck must only be measurable in microns at the pocket exit point.
[/quote]
That's what I was hoping, as I am thinking of swapping the neck on my precision to a jazz.