Why become a member? ×

First gig in front of total strangers for, ooh, 16 years?

socrates

I have always 'kept my hand in' with the bass playing but when my son started school last year we started a parent's band to play in assembly etc (I came up with the name - 'Mommas and Poppas' of course).

The guitarist plays in a Jazz duet. He has collared me and one of the moms to play a 40 minutes set in a local park festival on Saturday. This means my first proper gig in 16 years. This is great but there are a couple of things making me extra nervous:

The jazz guitarist knows lots of standards and can sight read. I can do neither and can barely count along to a chord chart. We have had a couple of practices and I am muddling along but this is quite a leap for my rusty chops! I always loved jazz but only ever learnt standard bass player stuff - some Jaco stuff by rote (i.e. not really understanding the changes underneath) and one walking bass line.

Also, the mom is a professional violinist who has done sessions for Weller, Coldplay, Roxy Music etc . . . musically out of my league doesn't cover it. Luckily she is very patient and puts up with my endless demand for reassurance and more practice time . .

I must say though that the experience of learning lots of new material and playing with pro-class musicians has been a real treat. I am used to playing in indie or rock bands where it is all riff and chord led and you learn a song by ear - to have someone plonk a chart in front of you and then you just play it is daunting but I am slowly getting used to it. Luckily I already has some understanding of jazz basics (AABA structure etc) but actually playing the stuff and keeping the eye contact going whilst following a chart is a real discipline.

Also, being just a trio they are asking me to solo - I have never solo'd in any band I've been in so this is another first . . wish me luck!

Sounds like an amazing learning experience matey! I hope you manage to enjoy it too, even if it's only the enjoyment that comes from having survived the set!

However it turns out you'll have learned loads and will have discovered that you're better than you thought you were...

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

[size=5][sub]Embrace it.....if they are really good players and they are willing to accomodate you, then you can learn a lot from them....[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]There will be plenty of shortcuts you can use so a basic chart and a few symbols can get you a long way and they can [/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]teach you how to work in a more formal setting..ie, from charts. You wont need to learn much to get a basic chart [/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]to be readable...and that needn't include notation[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]The solo might be a bridge too far for you at this stage as it will be what they DO and you out of your comfort Zone[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]but take heart from the fact that they are willing to play with you...[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]Music can be a lot about being able to play at certain levels and players find their own levels a lot..[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]Dive in, both feet, and get working on it. As long as you are enthiusiastic and they can be a bit patient, it could work[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]out as a nice little gig..[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]Not all muso's are up their own bum..!!!![/sub][/size]

[size=3]thanks both[/size]

[size=3]well, I survived it! It was a great experience - we played OK but on reflection there are a few 'learning points' to take forward:[/size][list]
[*][size=3]Outdoor gigs - tell the guitarist to use a bigger amp than usual so they can get a nice warm jazz tone at volume (we ended up with tinny and fuzzy!). Sitting us in between the generator and a 'test your strength' machine didn't help either![/size]
[*][size=3]On an otherwise pleasant and sunny September day, don't sit in the shade as your fingers get very cold after ten minutes (violinist especially, but this affect us all -luckily we were supplied with regular cups of tea)[/size]
[*][size=3]In fact, if there is no stage and no marquee (as we had) then wrap up, remember clothes pegs (to keep sheet music in place during gusts of wind!) and, most importantly, entrust someone as chief childminder so that sons/daughters don't keep running up and start cuddling you as you try to solo over 'Autumn Leaves' (this happened - cute but grrr annoying)[/size]
[/list]
[size=3]Playing wise, things were OK but this emphasised to me that playing jazz is not just a case of learning the chords and how to stop and start (OK, OK, I know) - if we had more rehearsal time we would have had the confidence to relax into the songs a bit more and concentrated on 'swinging' better. Also I didn't realise just how much trio playing leaves you really exposed and there is a real art to keeping the sound consistent and interesting. A percussionist and/or a piano player would have helped a lot. At times – and particularly when I soloed – the whole thing sound like it was close to grinding to a halt![/size]

[size=3]So overall, a good experience and - perhaps most importantly - has left me wanting to do more (if only to make it better next time!) . . watch this space . . .[/size]

[size=3]Nick[/size]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348493124' post='1814251']
Relax. You are the bass player. Provided you don't catch fire, noone will notice you anyway.
[/quote]

... but if you [i]do[/i] happen to catch fire, it would be a mightily impressive moment and one that the audience wouldn't forget in a hurry.

So it's a win:win whatever happens ;)

Seriously though, good luck!