Why become a member? ×

Combo recommendation-upgrading from a rumble 30

felix

Hi everyone,

so i started playing a year ago, and as i've got better i've started to realise that the rumble 30 i have at the moment lacks somewhat, especially low end.

I've been looking at getting a new amp, but despite reading two guides on "buying a new bass amp", i'm still completely bamboozeled by all the stats, numbers and letters that pop up everywhere.

As i just play with my mates, usually in a small flat, a combo will probably have more than enough power. Has anyone got any recommendations?? looking to spend up to £500, but could save up some more, if thats not enough to get something decent.

Cheers,

Felix

I'd maybe look at one of the 1x10" or 1x12" combos from the likes of Markbass, Genz Benz, Ibanez & so on. Then if at a later date you need more power for gigging, you can add another cab.

If you're not planning on gigging at all & just want for in the house, then you wouldn't need to spend more than a couple of hundred.

oh ok, only spending 200 would be a dream. How easy is it to hook another cab up to a combo? What would the difference between a 10" and a 12" be, and also is it worth looking at the used market?
Whilst I can judge how good a condition a guitar is in, how easy is it to hide errors in an amp?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347742720' post='1804623']
I'd maybe look at one of the 1x10" or 1x12" combos from the likes of Markbass, Genz Benz, Ibanez & so on. Then if at a later date you need more power for gigging, you can add another cab.

If you're not planning on gigging at all & just want for in the house, then you wouldn't need to spend more than a couple of hundred.
[/quote]

I`d go with this. Having just acquired a Markbass set-up, I`m amazed at how good it is. I`ve always liked their gear when hearing other bassists using it, but it really is great. Depending on your likes, 1x10, 1x12, poss 1x15 could be available on here for £500, maybe 2x10 if lucky. Also depending on band-type, most should be fine for gigging with.

Might not be your bag, but the Line 6 Low down combos are very versatile for the money and the 2 Pro variants are plenty loud enough for gigs.

The 300 goes fit £180 odd second hand and the 400 2x10 goes about £250, I got my 400 for £200, and will be selling it shortly as I have a Barefaced based rig in production.

Loads of good tones, well built and cheap.