Why become a member? ×

Using a SansAmp (or similar) for recording..advice please!

stefBclef

I will be doing a bit of recording this weekend, in my friends studio.

We will be DIing the bass. I got a SansAmp recently and I am wondering how I should use it this weekend.

1. As a stomp box and then use the DI on my amp (Ashdown Mag 300) to the desk.

OR

2. As a DI, and then run one signal to the desk and the other to my Ashdown for monitoring. If I did this, should I set the EQ flat on the amp so I have a better idea of what it will sound like on the desk?

Thanks
Stef

all the above.
use it as a stomp box but still have the XLR out going to the desk. do the same on the ashdown. then put some mics on there.
Even I know its overkill but its allowed some awesome flexibility in the bass sounds in a mix by having all the options.

But then I do tend to over record everything then remove the ones I don't need in that mix.

I normally record with a DI direct from the bass (for re-amping only in case we need to change the sound massively later on) a DI from the amp and a mic on one of the speakers. Just remember to make sure that all your recording sources are phase aligned otherwise you'll lose a lot of the oomph from the bass.