Why become a member? ×

A Tale Of Two Jazz Basses

sblueplanet

Over the Iast six months I have acquired two Fender mij jazz basses both from around the early 90's. Both have been recently set up by a luthier and both fitted with DR Hi-Beams.

Also, both basses have had their stock pickups replaced. One with Di Marzios, the other Seymour Duncan Hot Stax.

Now, through an amp both basses seem perfectly acceptable as the amp is able to colour the frequencies etc but when played acoustically, which I often do, for convenience, while watching tv, strengthening my fingers etc, there is a huge difference between the two instruments.

One bass is noticeably lighter than the other and has a much darker fingerboard. This bass, when tested unplugged is bright, full of sustain and rings like a bell.
The other, heavier bass however sounds dull and lifeless in comparison.

My question is, can it be the weight alone of the instrument that is causing such a difference in tonal quality or is it as simple as the neck and body are a poor match and nothing can be done to bring the duller instrument up to par with the brighter sounding one?

Any suggestions?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347566174' post='1802605']
Relief of neck and how tight the truss rod is.... how tight the neck joint is.

and you've shot yourself in the foot when you come to sell one of them! "oh is this the good one or the crap one?"
[/quote]
Haha! It's not that bad. Ive had the chance to play a bunch of US vintage Fender Jazz basses over the years and I noticed the same discrepancy in tone and weight between instruments.
Some sounded amazing, others were just ok.
I'd say it is just my ears to some extent and as Ive said when plugged in both are fine.
Looking for a few tips to improve the acoustic response if thats possible?

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1347569051' post='1802665']
Haha! It's not that bad. Ive had the chance to play a bunch of US vintage Fender Jazz basses over the years and I noticed the same discrepancy in tone and weight between instruments.
Some sounded amazing, others were just ok.
I'd say it is just my ears to some extent and as Ive said when plugged in both are fine.
Looking for a few tips to improve the acoustic response if thats possible?
[/quote]
I don't think it is, I think often it's just how they are.
when i've done up old basses the tightness and fit of the neck joint is the main way to make something come to life

Seems to be no simple explanations of this in my experience. My most lively bass - acoustically and amped is the Kramer. It is also the heaviest by a long way. After that no obvious pattern, they are all just different. Have same with two USA 1990s Strats I have, they are so different in character.

They are like people, each has their own personality. Thats the way I look at it anyway, there are som many variables between two seemingly identical instruments that it can be very hard to pin down the cause of the difference. It's usually a multitude of things.

I had a strat once, it played like a dog, I lent it to a guitarist who ultimately smashed it up because it wouldn't stay in tune and played like the aforementioned dog. He broke the neck and split the body. I repaired it, glued the thing back together, set it up, and it was a different instrument!! Sounded great, amazing sustain and played like a dream. Go figure :rolleyes: