Why become a member? ×

ASHDOWN LITTLE GIANT WEIRD MALFUNCTION

vanjamarin

Hello there!

I have an EVO II 500 as primary amp, so I took this[b] Little Giant 1000[/b] for back up, or small gigs amp...

It is used, but --- seems to be in good condition.....

ALTHOUGH, when started testing it --- [b]QUITE A PROBLEM POPPED UP RIGHT AWAY[/b]...

Can you tell me if any of you guys ever ran into problem like this, and if so.... what could be the solution?!?

I wanted to test it with 2 boxes (4x10" and 1x15" Ashdown boxes) at the same time... and to test it's line-out - to send it into mixer connected to my PC... I did put volumes almost to maximum amount --- it did get warm (not really hot), but fan never started spinning --- nor did the amp die on me, either, but it also got me really worried!

[b]BUT ONE REAL PROBLEM IS[/b] --- this very unit that I am testing now has a real malfunction (I think that is what it is)....

Anyway, what it does - [b]when I try to either connect 2 speakers (boxes) or try to connect it from line out to mixer, or just one box, using left speak-on connector cable [/b](looking from rear side) [b]some very annoying click (or pop) sound starts repeating every 5 seconds... Like it is sending some regular ping... But it is so loud and present that you simply can't ignore it...[/b]

[b]So I can't use both speakon outputs nor lineout....[/b]

[b]CAN YOU TELL ME WHETHER YOU EVER HAD or HEARED OF THIS ISSUE WITH YOUR AMPS??[/b]?

Thanx a lot

V

• 1 month later...

Hi, I bought a little giant from an online store about 2 years ago. I open the box and I found some scratches on the front panel.
Specifically, around the button holes. It looked like whoever drilled those holes got a bit carried away and scratched around.
That wasn't a good start... I plugged all my gear. No sound. I checked everything from my cable down to the "is there a mute button?"
I sent the head back to the online retailer, who confessed their tech guy opened the amp and found some soldering problems he was able to fix.
They asked me if I wanted the head re-soldered. I said "No thanks give me my money back please".
I totally the the concept of the Little Giant and I was totally excited about owning one. The issue I believe is that Ashdown have been totally let down by quality controls in Asia. The head I received should have never left the factory. I bet yours got some issues that went undetected due to lack of quality controls.

Edited by BassPimp66

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1350860796' post='1844504']
Hmm, Ashdown in this months BGM say they test every unit that comes in from the Far East too....
[/quote]
Yeah I read that too. Poor show if they have to test everything that is shipped over from their off-shore manufacturing facility. Is the QC really that bad that they cannot rely on checks done at the factory?

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1350975345' post='1845636']
Yeah I read that too. Poor show if they have to test everything that is shipped over from their off-shore manufacturing facility. Is the QC really that bad that they cannot rely on checks done at the factory?
[/quote]

I think an extra QC check is quite reassuring. These amps are shipped thousands of miles after all. A once-over when they reach blighty seems prudent. If other companys bothered to do that I'm sure I'd have had much less hassle with faulty cars, TVs, washing machines etc.