Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Jazz USA, 1973, 4 Bolt, All original. Serial No: 502198

pjcarty1

Hi, I'm selling my Dad's old Fender Jazz, it's been lying under his bed for 15 years, now it has been passed on to me.

I've had it cleaned up a wee bit. All the parts are original (pick ups, pots, pick up guards, etc.) I had to have it re-wired also.

It plays and sounds awesome, there are some cosmetic issues of course because of it's age and years of gigging, but it adds to
the guitar's character.

I'm looking for offers over 2000 pounds, the guitar is in the UK.

You can contact me via E-Mail: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] for more photos and info.

Cheers, Paul.

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1347461194' post='1801149']
Don't want to scrutinize but the serial no dates your bass '76
[/quote]

Late '73 to mid '74 with my reckoning on the S/N.

Black guard would be early '74.

Top located thumbrest would also be '74

3 bolt neck was '75.

I'm going for this as an early/mid '74 Jazz.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1347461194' post='1801149']
Don't want to scrutinize but the serial no dates your bass '76
[/quote]

By '76 the three bolt neck would have been well established. Might find a few '74's with 4 bolts but nothing later as far as I know.

Might suggest the serial number doesn't match the neck (or maybe the neck / body has been converted from 3 to 4 bolt?)?

[quote name='pjcarty1' timestamp='1347467259' post='1801278']
[b]My Dad bought this guitar just before I was born. I was born Dec '73.[/b]
[/quote]

Not that I'm calling this into question but I'd trust Rick's knowledge of Fender dating ahead of someone's memory.

If it has obvious things that date it as a '74 then it sounds like there's some queries about either dating or whether this is a completely original bass?

Without calling anybody's expertise into question.... I was on my fourth Jazz Bass by 1973, and the second one I had from brand new, bought in November 1973 from the erstwhile Norbury Music - latterly "RipOff's Music Store" . The serial number was 500861. I know I was surprised at the time as the first three I'd owned had all been comparatively recent, two had been second hand, and all had 3***** range serials. It's been accepted and acknowledged that Fender must have had a job lot of neck plates in the 3***** range and there has been no pattern to which backplates had been fitted to which bass in which year. I've had '69 Jazzes with later serials than '74s - or '74s with earlier serials that '69s, depending on your point of view. What is acknowledged by Fender themselves is that the 5***** range was brought online before the 4***** range - few of which appeared until 1975. I have no connection with the vendor, but myself, I'm inclined in this instance to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I'm baffled by his need to post twice, mind. :)

Carry on.

Edited by mckendrick

FWIW, serial numbers are the last port of call when dating a Fender. There are normally far more reliable signs, not least the neck, body and pot dates, but scrathplate style, number of screws, width of neck dots, thumbrest location, tuners, decal, bridge, bridge intonation screws, are all far more reliable. The serial number is normally the last thing i'd look at when viewing, appraising a fender bass.

• 2 months later...