Why become a member? ×

A project to use some wood.

tommorichards

Basically i had this plank of wood from a previous build which wasnt enough for a full sized (read: precision size), so i came up with a design that would maximize its yield, so i designed this shape to be used with a 24 fret neck, and some barts i got hold of from these parts. I also wanted it to have a cutout as i reckon those are pretty dam cool.

So here are some starter pictures. Ill probably upload the other parts in a while if not tomorrow:

My template:

The plank of wood (yellow pine)

Both together

After the general shape has been cut out, showing the grain patterns

With the template

All glued together with titebond

Lower view.

I took a while trying to get the clamps to sit properly as they dont like slanted surfaces, so offcuts had to suffice. Got there in the end.

Thats all for now........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while so here are some updates:

routed the neck pocket

shaped the body contour (tried using a radiused cutting tool, but didnt work so well)

Next up is the control cavity, a biggie. Start off with a 22mm forstner bit where the pots were going so i could make it about 3mm thick wood so they'd attach alright

From the front

And the back

Next is the strat style jack plate

Then the pickup routes. Forstenered every bit i could do to remove material, then routed the rest. Mostly freehand, but tried using a clamped buit of wood for the straight edges

forstenered the rest of the control cavity to remove material, as i dont like using the router to just remove material, more for polishing.

Once i finished routing the control cavity, i stuck some bits of dowel for screw points for the cover, and for something else too....

i made a miscalculation when routing the control cavity, so i accidently removed part of the pickup route. This meant that i couldnt secure one side of the pickup in place as there was no wood for it to screw into. So i shaped this bit of dowel to fit the space, and luckily, it works.

Lastly, to hold the battery and preamp box, i glued in some walls, using pva+sawdust for the bottom to strengthen. Sort of inspired by a guy who routed his entire cavit, then glued in a frame with the walls for holding things, and spector, modulus, etc.

And that pretty much brings us up to date. next thing to do is to make a cavity cover, then paint. but of course, im attaching everything to sound test it too.

• 1 month later...

That's great! I've built a few guitars from parts. I'm waiting on my order from warmoth. I can't wait!

For a future project far far away, I'd like to shape my own body. Would be for a jazz neck to keep it simple. Do you think it's best to start with a jazz shape as a first go at it?